Best MMA Base: BJJ or Wrestling

Mason Magboo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
There are times when people think what is the best base for MMA. It would either be BJJ or Wrestling. Which one you think is a better and the best MMA base! BJJ or Wrestling?

I love submissions and BJJ, and it's an essential part of a complete fighter, but wrestling is obviously the best base.

The numbers say wrestling. Not sure it's even close if you look at the top 5 by division over time.

giphy.gif

With the current rules probably wrestling. Not being allowed to knee in the sprawl, to a grounded opponent or the fact that TDD is not valued whatsoever in scoring, all give wrasslers a big advantage.

Edit; plus the early days of MMA show that BJJ has the clear advantage in both of their pure forms.

Base?

Stipe - wrestler
DC - wrestler
Whittaker - striker, but is also a top level wrestler in Australia
Woodley - wrestler
Khabib - wrestler
Holloway - striker
TJ - wrestler
MM - wrestler

The PED GOAT is a wrestler and the clean UFC GOAT is a wrestler.

WRESTLING IS TRUTH.

Both at the same time.

Striking would be a good base too.

You have to mix up your martial arts if you're going to be a fighter....

We should come up with a name for it.

If you're talking about pure style vs. style, wrestling has an advantage unless they're wearing gi's.

Neither, it's all about that aikido.

giphy.gif

The numbers say wrestling. Not sure it's even close if you look at the top 5 by division over time.

giphy.gif
Numbers are biased since a lot more people practice wrestling. If BJJ were as big as wrestling is in collegiate sports I bet the numbers would be much closer. As of now most people start jiu jitsu as a hobby

both are mandatory, I don't know a single fighter who doesn't train at least submission defense and wrestling.
it also depends on the ruleset, as I think the unified rules favor wrestlers, as they are designed by americans and primarily for an american audience.
soccer kicks and knees on the ground (although knees can be usefull for a wrestler in side control or north south) are bad for wrestlers, as we saw more wrestlers being kneed after a stuffed TD attempt than wrestlers kneeing in top position on the ground in orgs where it is allowed (Pride & one FC)
one could argue that the 2 UFC GOATS, Silva and GSP, did not have a wretsling base (altought GSP wrestled a lot) and Fedor the absolute GOAT in my opinion has a sambo base which is wrestling AND submissions

It's not a fair question since like 90% of the roster are American, and almost all American MMA fighters are wrestlers.
Statistically they should be dominating the UFC atm. There's like 300 hundred more of them.

If there were 200 Russians in the UFC atm, I'd bet dollars to donuts there'd be more Russian champions.

Last edited:
Wrestling from childhood. Strong neck, strong grip, flexibility, durable body, unlimited cardio, speed, power. This is wrestling.

Last edited:
Both at the same time.

Striking would be a good base too.

You have to mix up your martial arts if you're going to be a fighter....

We should come up with a name for it.

If you're talking about pure style vs. style, wrestling has an advantage unless they're wearing gi's.

Pure style? Go back and watch the early fights of MMA. Wrasslers in their purest have no way to finish while BJJ....well.

BJJ is for rich kids who's parents sue when you beat their ass, luta livre is for real street favela :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s

war Terry Etim
war Paul Sassangle
war Lucas Martins (bring homeboy back he never deserved to get cut)

Pure style? Go back and watch the early fights of MMA. Wrasslers in their purest have no way to finish while BJJ....well.

Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock say hello lol.

I will admit that it took wresting a while to adapt to MMA because the purpose of wrestling is to pin your opponent, but after they figured out ground and pound and the RNC, it became alot more dominant.

As much as I love bjj I'd have to say wrestling, although if you play a top heavy bjj game there are elements that will translate well to MMA

There are times when people think what is the best base for MMA. It would either be BJJ or Wrestling. Which one you think is a better and the best MMA base! BJJ or Wrestling?
Lets see how far TCity gets and if he gets that belt juijitsu is back at number 1 its like a 70s trend coming back to the 2000s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back