I don't understand Cub Swanson

Kaiokenrye24

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When he fought Doo Ho Choi he laid it all on the line, understanding a loss permanently puts him in Gatekeeper territory, it was one of the greatest fights in recent memory.

Against Frankie Edgar he was tentative even though he probably knew he had to win to have any chance at ever fighting for the title again.
It's good he's not training at Jackson-Wink any more, but he's still the same guy against top competition
Training with TJ at the treigning lab is smart though

He was afraid of getting taken down, beaten to a pulp and then submitted.

Man, every fucking time a goddamn wrestler outstrikes a goddamn striker these stupid-ass threads pop up.

The Threat of the takedown changes the complexion of fights. Why did Lee look like a good striker against Barboza? Why did Khabib look decent on his feet against a "tentative" Iaquinta?
Because of the threat of the takedown.
Woodley outstruck Wonderboy, Wonderboy seemed "tentative", etc.
There's so much examples.

When he fought Doo Ho Choi he laid it all on the line, understanding a loss permanently puts him in Gatekeeper territory, it was one of the greatest fights in recent memory.

Against Frankie Edgar he was tentative even though he probably knew he had to win to have any chance at ever fighting for the title again.
It's good he's not training at Jackson-Wink any more, but he's still the same guy against top competition
Training with TJ at the treigning lab is smart though
Ya I was thinking the exact same thing. I think some fighters just hit a point where they just don’t have the fire to compete at the top anymore, and sadly Cub seems to have entered gatekeeper status. Someone hungry to redeem themselves and get back to a title shot fights with something to prove, like Kevin Lee did for example.

He was just too afraid to get taken down to ever get his offense going.
That fight looked like a sparring match though. It was crazy to see Cub that tentative

Man, every fucking time a goddamn wrestler outstrikes a goddamn striker these stupid-ass threads pop up.

The Threat of the takedown changes the complexion of fights. Why did Lee look like a good striker against Barboza? Why did Khabib look decent on his feet against a "tentative" Iaquinta?

He wasn't tentative, if he pushes forward frantically Frankie just uses that to put him on his back.
Can you tell these scrubs what’s up please! Amen brotha!

He wasn't tentative, if he pushes forward frantically Frankie just uses that to put him on his back.
This. People were saying "When Cub landed a good shot he always moved back and stopped attacking". It's because he was expecting the takedown from Frankie. He didn't wan't to get too loose and get taken down.

I really it's more mental on his part, I mean it's more with his new contract and if he still wants to be part of the UFC. Last time I check, his contract is up, and if he might be looking for other promotions. And maybe coz he has a baby on the way, idk.

Frankie outdanced him and put the nation to sleep. Most boring “fighter” ever

At some point you have to take that risk. It doesn't make sense to say internally fuck it I can't get my game going so I will lose a decision. It's a 3 round fight, even if Cub got taken down and beaten down for a round he can start the next round with some fire. Thats the whole reason why he's training with TJ in the first place, to have the conditioning to rebound

For people defending that pitiful performance: edgar tried taking cub down several times and swanson actually did a good job of defending those take-downs. He was just his usual mentally weak self: always comes up short when it matters most. If choi had any semblance of defence, other than blocking strikes with his face, swanson would have lost that fight easily and sunken into the irrelevance where he belongs.

The smart thing would have been to not take the fight.

Cub is a documented choker who has lost every step-up fight in the UFC
I don't think he chokes; he's just very good but not elite. So he beats almost everyone but when he fights an elite level fighter he loses.

And Frankie is a terrible matchup for him.

I give him credit for not getting blown out as bad as the first fight.

He defended the takedowns much better but it affected his ability to generate offense. I like Cub but he has been the same fighter throughout his UFC career. Hes pretty one dimensional.

This.
It´s funny to see Khabib and Lee saying on their post fight interview the same thing "I can strike with the best striker in the division" . .... No, they can´t. They can only do that for very small periods of time and everybody knows that as soon as Barboza landed anything they'd shoot for a single or double and take his ass down. That's the only reason they are able to survive on the feet against a guy like Barboza. Half dead Barboza with 20% of his energy was enough to put Lee on serious danger and nearly KO him.

Last edited:
I give him credit for not getting blown out as bad as the first fight.

He defended the takedowns much better but it affected his ability to generate offense. I like Cub but he has been the same fighter throughout his UFC career. Hes pretty one dimensional.
I'm a fan. He's one of the most fun fighters to watch as long as they put him in with a striker

Frankie outdanced him and put the nation to sleep. Most boring “fighter” ever
You´re embarrassing yourself, bro. Frankie has one of the most exciting careers in the UFC, he´s been in absolute wars and fought the very best fighters on the roster. Have some respect motherf*cker!
Frankie-Edgar-UFC-125-press.jpg

Back