LW is still the deepest division in MMA.

RiotWyatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There is Khabib, who can take anyone down anytime he wishes but “looks” to be lacking in the stand up department. Despite that, he’s had success on the feet based on the threat of his takedown.

Then you have Tony, who lacks wrestling and control, but it doesn’t matter because he can fight anywhere the fight goes.

Kevin is the most well rounded. He’s not amazing at either aspect of the game but he has the wrestling to get the fight to wherever he has the advantage.

Lastly, you have McGregor. This guy has ridiculous power and timing. He lacks the grappling of the other three yet he can seemingly end a fight at any time.

It’s like we’re moving from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Not only that. There’s Gaethje, who, on paper, matches up well with anyone of them except McGregor. There’s Barboza, who can put any of them to sleep at any time. There’s Alvarez, who matches up well against Khabib and Lee. There’s Poirier, who is somewhat of a dark horse in all of this.

Old news, Always has and always will..

For sure.

LW is a seriously stacked division of killers.

The unfortunate thing though, is that there are a plethora of reasons why these guys will probably not fight.

Khabib loses 3 to 4 months Ramadaning it up.

Tony has incurred a brutal injury and we have no idea how he'll return.

Conor seems to be more into shenanigans outside of the cage than he's willing to fight in the UFC.

Barboza got violently smashed twice by a top guy only a few months apart.

Gaethje won't have a brain left by the end of 2019 if he keeps going like this.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next year or so

I mean, look at the past too:

Penn, Gomi, Edgar, Bendo, Pettis, RDA, Cerrone, Melendez, Jim Miller, Clay Guida, Maynard, Josh Thomson, Kawajiri, Ishida, etc. That’s off the top of my head.

Edit: Sherk, Pulver, Hansen, Din Thomas, Aoki, Kenny Florian

Edit: Michael F-ing Chandler and freaking Pitbull, who has the most underrated power in all of MMA

Last edited:
Most frustrating division

Khabib, Conor, Tony...For the love of god 2 of you fight each other already

The whole LW top 10 is full of guys with a lot of holes in their games and inconsistencies. Funny division but not the deepest in talent.

WW division is way better in my opinion.

The whole LW top 10 is full of guys with a lot of holes in their games and inconsistencies. Funny division but not the deepest in talent.

WW division is way better in my opinion.

Yes, I can’t wait to see Colby and Woodley stall.

Edit: Also, RDA, Masvidal and Cerrone are natural LWs.

Yes, I can’t wait to see Colby and Woodley stall.

Lets start with the fact that Woodley would KO stiff anyone in the current LW division. Then lets talk about fighters.

Eddie Alvarez, Barboza and Poirier are top 5 in the LW division. Those guys have wholes all over the place. Alvarez got tooled like an amateur 3 fights ago. Barboza lives taking beatings and is overhyped because of flashy KOs. Poirier was flatlined by a FW not to long ago. Then you have guys like Justin, Nate Diaz and Chiesa that dont eve need to be explained.

How is that the deepest division in the whole UFC? Think again.

It has always been the deepest.

But 165 is going to surpass it

Lets start with the fact that Woodley would KO stiff anyone in the current LW division. Then lets talk about fighters.

Eddie Alvarez, Barboza and Poirier are top 5 in the LW division. Those guys have wholes all over the place. Alvarez got tooled like an amateur 3 fights ago. Barboza lives taking beatings and is overhyped because of flashy KOs. Poirier was flatlined by a FW not to long ago. Then you have guys like Justin, Nate Diaz and Chiesa that dont eve need to be explained.

Woodley has holes in his game. Sure he’d beat some of the LWs due to his size. He’s a huge WW but all he is is a wrestler with power. Even then, you gotta look at the division as a whole.

Maia is as one dimensional as they come. Colby stalls.

Thomson now resorts to dancing when he can’t hurt his opponent.

Lawler is damaged and a brawler. RDA and Masvidal are LWs.

You seriously think Welterweight is deeper? Cmon man that’s silly

I mean, look at the past too:

Penn, Gomi, Edgar, Bendo, Pettis, RDA, Cerrone, Melendez, Jim Miller, Clay Guida, Maynard, Josh Thomson, Kawajiri, Ishida, etc. That’s off the top of my head.

Edit: Sherk, Pulver, Hansen, Din Thomas, Aoki, Kenny Florian

Edit: Michael F-ing Chandler and freaking Pitbull, who has the most underrated power in all of MMA
All that and you didn't put Diaz

Most frustrating division

Khabib, Conor, Tony...For the love of god 2 of you fight each other already
totally this. it's a stacked division where the top guys never fight each other.

You seriously think Welterweight is deeper? Cmon man that’s silly

Having guys like Woodley, Thompson, RDA, Lawler, Covington, Maia and Till does the trick. LW is very good but also overhyped.

Back