thoughts on Lee/Barboza

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
1. Won't doubt Lee again. I knew what I could see physically (very quick, great double, etc) but I wasn't sure how he'd stack up against top talent. His name has been the "future of LW" line for awhile now, and it showed tonight.
2. Surprised Kevin's cardio was so good. Maybe the staph really did make a huge difference against Tony because he still looked good in the 5th cardio-wise.
3. This will be the first and only fight in history that ended via TKO (loss of mouthpiece). They should have let the last 2 minutes end so Barboza can tell his kids he gave it his all (or I knocked him out at the end for one of the all-time best comebacks) without interference. Yeah, call me a just bleed inbred blah blah blah.
4. I have no idea what will happen now at the top of LW. Between tonight and Poirier winning and Tony being injured and Conor/Khabib (on the horizon but with question marks) who knows what'll happen. I know it doesn't make SENSE ranking-wise/timing-wise (since it just happened) but I actually REALLY want to see Kevin/Tony 2 now. I know it probably will never happen but I'm hoping in a year or so maybe it does.

3. This will be the first and only fight in history that ended via TKO (loss of mouthpiece). They should have let the last 2 minutes end so Barboza can tell his kids he gave it his all (or I knocked him out at the end for one of the all-time best comebacks) without interference. Yeah, call me a just bleed inbred blah blah blah.

I think Edson threw it intentionally So the refree call the fight. Another lopsided scorecard would have taken a huge toll in his confidence. But now he has an excuse for looking good.
But hey that's just the Lee fan inside of me talking. So don't take it seriously.

Barboza didn’t lose his mouthpiece ya goofs, it was tape from his glove that went flying.

I think Edson threw it intentionally So the refree call the fight. Another lopsided scorecard would have taken a huge toll in his confidence. But now he has an excuse for looking good.
But hey that's just the Lee fan inside of me talking. So don't take it seriously.
Didn't take it too seriously, but nah, disagree that Edson would have done that. If anything I thought he'd empty his gas tank completely in those last 2 minutes for a hail mary KO. Kind of anti-climactic was all, knowing that was around the corner and the tenseness of him getting back up right at the end of the fight. Oh well, guess we'll never know.
Barboza didn’t lose his mouthpiece ya goofs, it was tape from his glove that went flying.
Ok, first ever TKO (tape flew from glove) ending in that case.

If Barboza hadn't rushed in and grappled a break dancing Lee and picked his shots he would have KOd him probably with the next shot he landed.

Lee doesn't have a chin at all but he certainly has a head. I am really surprised that kick didn't knock him out it landed pretty dam hard.

Lots on people on reddit were saying after the 2nd round that Barboza's corned should throw the towel. Then Barboza almost KO's Lee in the 3rd. It sucks that the fight was stopped like that because if there's one guy who could pull off a late KO out of nowhere that's Barboza.

That kick was so sweet. I thought he blocked it at first, and it went through the gloves but he kicked him behind his gloves right on his temple. I imagine it must be scary to face him knowing what hes going to do but that hes so fast with it its hard to stop.
To your final point, my guess is lee will use the fact that he stopped barboza and khabib didnt to rally for the TS. If conor is out i would give it to lee and do the poirer-alvarez rematch now. I think those two pairings match up well and are reasonable to make.

Back