Lifelong mma fan, started watching boxing after maymac, UFC isn’t good at promoting

Isthat-yo bop

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Started watching boxing after maymac . As a mma fan I always heard boxing is dying or it’s boring. I found my self entertained. There’s another myth that there is to many weight classes , it’s not that hard to follow actually . I use to love embedded until I seen 24/7. Them ufc countdown shows suck. And its old school shit with max kellerman where they sit at a table and argue . It just seems that boxers are a little more cooler and have personalities. Ufc has better press conferences but if Mcgregor isn’t there it’s boring . And boxing has a terrible problem with judging and pers. watch a fight Mayweather v Madian 1 , ole boy threw so many punches it’s no way a human can keep that pace . Long story short ufc isn’t doing a good job to make their audience care about their fighters .

Atleast they're better in promoting than you're in writing.

Didn't read.

<DisgustingHHH>

Started watching boxing after maymac . As a mma fan I always heard boxing is dying or it’s boring. I found my self entertained. There’s another myth that there is to many weight classes , it’s not that hard to follow actually . I use to love embedded until I seen 24/7. Them ufc countdown shows suck. And its old school shit with max kellerman where they sit at a table and argue . It just seems that boxers are a little more cooler and have personalities. Ufc has better press conferences but if Mcgregor isn’t there it’s boring . And boxing has a terrible problem with judging and pers. watch a fight Mayweather v Madian 1 , ole boy threw so many punches it’s no way a human can keep that pace . Long story short ufc isn’t doing a good job to make their audience care about their fighters .
Agree. After Fury stop Klichko and Joshua retired him boxing start to be interesting again in all categories and this cruiser WBSS tournament was the best that can happened to boxing and Joshua vs Wilder is still to come

There’s another myth that there is to many weight classes.

There are far more active pro boxers than there are MMA fighters so the weight classes aren't a problem, if they had so many in MMA it wouldn't work as there's no depth at all in the current weight classes. MMA doesn't have an Olympic sport feeding it new fighters year in year out either.

The ABC belts are the only real problem with MMA but a lot of that isn't down to the belts it's promoters being signed to Showtime or HBO. That's why Joshua vs Wilder probably happens as they're both shown on Showtime but if one of them had been on HBO.....

You should try and watch Carl Frampton vs. Nonito Donaire before the UFC Fight Night tonight, the fight is in Belfast so the timing should work pretty well, it might mean you miss a fight pass prelim or 2 but the boxing is going to be better than them.

TS, is right. I've been watching MMA for a long time. I'll watch events and not recognize most of the fighters. There are a lot to keep track of. When I don't know the fighters competing, I lose interest in the fight unless it's a really good fight.

MMA doesn't have an Olympic sport feeding it new fighters year in year out either.

While not directly feeding, wrestling certainly has a high MMA transfer rate. Not much else they can do athletically for decent money.

Last edited:
Easier to put on a spectacular promotion when you only have 1 big fight a year to worry about.

UFC has way more cards which makes it harder to promote each fighter individually which is why UFC probably choose to promote their brand name instead of mid tier fighters as much.

Plus I find boxing promotions to be quite over the top. The whole McGregor vs Mayweather was pretty cringy at times.

I honestly have seen a sport yet capable of a decent promotion (Pride Imo has come the closest) Boxing does over the Top razzle Dazzle quite well but that is not my thing.

I will say the Stipe vs Nganau Promotion was pretty slick (A little one sided but still got me hyped for a fight that I knew was gonna turn into a wrestle fuck)

Conor has not had a decent Promotion since the Aldo fight.

The MayMac tour was a circus and was so cringe.

Easier to put on a spectacular promotion when you only have 1 big fight a year to worry about.

UFC has way more cards which makes it harder to promote each fighter individually which is why UFC probably choose to promote their brand name instead of mid tier fighters as much.

Plus I find boxing promotions to be quite over the top. The whole McGregor vs Mayweather was pretty cringy at times.

You are spot on here m8 good post. And a cery interesting topic.

1 big fight a year? Mate this year has already seen a bunch of great boxing cards. Mma not so much. Mayweather vs Mac was an anomaly. The usual promotions are way better.

While not directly feeding, wrestling certainly has a high MMA transfer rate. Not much else they can do athletically for decent money.

Good point but the number of Olympic wrestlers who win medals and then MMA titles seems fairly low so I'm not sure the transfer rate is that high?

Unless you're Cuban, if you win an Olympic boxing gold you're turning pro BUT you can now be a pro and compete in the Olympic boxing so I'm not sure what that'll mean. Obviously boxing has been about longer and it is (pretty much) the same sport at amateur/the Olympics as it is for the pros but I can think of a lot more top boxers who went to the Olympics and/or won medals than I can wrestlers doing MMA.

Back