How often do Pro-fighters train? Amatuers?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I know ever since USADA, guys aren't doing 2x a day 6 times a week like they use to in the past. Does anyone know what the average routine looks like?

How many grappling sessions, how many striking sessions, how many sparring days and how many strength and conditioning days?

I know its going to vary somewhat, out of training camp is going to have a lot more strength and conditioning where as it gets more sport specific closer to fight.

What might it look like for a amateur fighter?

How many grappling sessions, how many striking sessions, how many sparring days and how many strength and conditioning days?
Bout tree fiddy.

Don't we all know it?

Somewhere deep within ourselves, before we post a thread asking "How many?" or "How much?", don't we all know what's inevitably coming?

I mean I don't know but all thebfighters I hear keep saying that they do actually train/ workout some aspect 2-3 times a day. Like they'll work out go home come back and spar and the run later. Idk tho

USADA sure did change things up. Training hard multiple times a day almost every day of the week seems difficult without special supplements.

I doubt there's a standard answer. I would guess the number varies widely among different fighters and different camps.

They all claim 3 a day 6 times a week diritthe All Access show. I believe them. That would include just sparring, just grappling, just strength and conditioning, just mixed, etc. they have a schedule of so many of each and when, who the coach’s are etc. this is high level sports, both technically and physically.

They all claim 3 a day 6 times a week diritthe All Access show. I believe them. That would include just sparring, just grappling, just strength and conditioning, just mixed, etc. they have a schedule of so many of each and when, who the coach’s are etc. this is high level sports, both technically and physically.

3x a day is deceptive. They might have 1 intense session then have 2 smaller sessions like a run or a little pad work, I would call a true 2x day multiple intense sessions.

3x a day is deceptive. They might have 1 intense session then have 2 smaller sessions like a run or a little pad work, I would call a true 2x day multiple intense sessions.

I only trained with a few pro fighters since it was a small gym but most of them did 1-3 sessions of skill work a day. Like striking in the morning and BJJ that night. Ran in the morning or after the last session of the day. Then did S&C specific stuff 2-4 times a week when they could work them in. Past your early 20s you just can't do 3 a days 6 a week. You just overtrain and end up hurt.

Just so it's clear I am not and never was a pro fighter. I just trained with some.

When I trained with Mike Perry he would train multiple times a day. He would do an hour grappling followed by an hour sparring and some days would go back later. I now train with Jim Miller and he will teach a class or two a week and work with the other pros on the team but he is kind of like the head coach and I wouldnt say his training is as intense as a younger guy like PMP

The training volume is Probably around the same, the intensity would be lower, particularly for the s&c work.

I guess every one has their own routine. I just hate when guys have to pull out of fights because they went too hard in the week before the fight anf got injured.

I guess every one has their own routine. I just hate when guys have to pull out of fights because they went too hard in the week before the fight anf got injured.

Happens a lot. Fighters are just too fucking tough for their own good but the mentality around training has changed a lot in the last 10-12 years. Coaches have gotten much more mindful of protecting their fighters from their own crazy desire and willpower.

Happens a lot. Fighters are just too fucking tough for their own good but the mentality around training has changed a lot in the last 10-12 years. Coaches have gotten much more mindful of protecting their fighters from their own crazy desire and willpower.
True. And then you get those who walk with sunglasses indoors...

True. And then you get those who walk with sunglasses indoors...

Lol. I garauntee his leg was fucked up leading up to the fight and that was the straw that broke it. Tony Ferguson trains like a lunatic. It's a miracle he ever makes it to a fight.

If you wanna be a pro fighter you need to train AT LEAST twice a week

Lol. I garauntee his leg was fucked up leading up to the fight and that was the straw that broke it. Tony Ferguson trains like a lunatic. It's a miracle he ever makes it to a fight.
I agree. Tripping on that wire was just the trigger.

According to interviews, Stipe used to train twice a day Mon-Fri ("three if I'm feeling froggy"), have one long session on Saturdays, and take Sundays off. Nowadays he also takes Fridays off and trains only once on Wednesdays ("because getting old sucks") but otherwise has the same schedule. That's year round. So much for that "part-time fighter" nonsense a lot of posters claim.

EDIT a little clarification

Last edited:
Back