Justin Gaethje cut very little weight against Dustin Poirier

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
In the broadcast, I think it was Anik who commented and said how Justin wanted to cut as little weight as possible now that he is fighting at the highest level. We wanted to emulate his wrestling days and stay close to limit as possible. They said something like he came in fight week at 160 and only had to lose 5 pounds.

Dustin is a fantastic weight cutter, when he was at 145 he would start at 170 and get all the way down to 145. He did this for a while, got older, put on more muscle, and moved up a weight class. Dustin is easily 175, but less drawn out compared to when he was at 145.

Which approach is better? Dustin won the fight yes, but there is something to be said for cutting less weight , especially when you are fighting 5 round fights.

Cutting has nothing to do with it. If Gaethje actually fought to his strength he would avoid being concussed several times per fight.

Semi-random thought: Dustin looks huge (or at least bigger than he is) cause of his pea head. Looks tall and wide even though he's 5'9 and a pretty average weight. Just look at this massive man! ;)

i

Peaheadedness is the truth! ...when it comes to looking imposing at least.

Depends on your fighting style, your build, how well your body handles a cut, your general conditioning, etc.

I think in general it benefits a grappler/wrestler to be in the division where they're largest. Think Khabib or Kevin Lee type fighters. As a striker it can be better to have speed and the conditioning to defend a lot of takedowns, like Bobby Knuckles.

If you're lean, I really think the max anyone should contemplate cutting is 15 lbs of water. 5 lbs would probably be the minimum but that probably contributes to his gas tank and ability to take shots

Depends on your fighting style, your build, how well your body handles a cut, your general conditioning, etc.

I think in general it benefits a grappler/wrestler to be in the division where they're largest. Think Khabib or Kevin Lee type fighters. As a striker it can be better to have speed and the conditioning to defend a lot of takedowns, like Bobby Knuckles.

Basically the extra 5-10 pounds isn't gonna make you hit all that much harder, or faster but the extra 5-10 pounds is gonna make you heavier when you are on bottom.

Wonderboy is a good example too that as well.

Semi-random thought: Dustin looks huge (or at least bigger than he is) cause of his pea head. Looks tall and wide even though he's 5'9 and a pretty average weight. Just look at this massive man! ;)

i

Peaheadedness is the truth! ...when it comes to looking imposing at least.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Cutting has nothing to do with it. If Gaethje actually fought to his strength he would avoid being concussed several times per fight.
Agreed. His wrestling credentials are some of the highest in the division which is crazy that he never uses it

~DaViD~

Gaethje has some of the best cardio and one of the best chins I've seen in a long time (the chin may be starting to go though...). No doubt his minimal weight cut contributes to those factors.

Agreed. His wrestling credentials are some of the highest in the division which is crazy that he never uses it

~DaViD~
Which is why in theory he’s an interesting fight for Khabib. Although it would likely turn into a sloppy kickboxing match between an amatuer level striker and a professional punching bag.

He has a full head of hair now so his head doesn’t seem as small.
True, just randomly reminiscing about Lord Small-Head in a thread about size that mentions him. :D

Gaethaje is thin meanwhile Poirier is huge for 155y

Back