Woodley wasted part of his athletic prime waiting for a big fight that never happened

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Woodley injured his shoulder in the Maia fight, and instead of getting surgery, he waited 6 months before getting surgery.

He wanted a big fight with Bisping, both Diaz bros, Conor, and GSP, but it never happened. Once RDA became the next clear contender, he decides to get shoulder surgery.

Then Woodley acts confused when they book RDA in a title fight with Covington, saying that he would've been ready to fight by then.

I know it makes financial sense to want big fights, but in waiting for these big fights to never happen, he wasted part of his athletic prime when he could be fighting and building his legacy.

Woodley is no spring chicken, so I think this was a bad miscalculation on his career going forward.

He neutralized WB twice and then Maia. People said both would eat him alive.

He earned a piece of that money cake. You can fuck right off.

Wow harsh, I was just saying he wasted his prime waiting around when he could've been building his legacy.

Wow harsh, I was just saying he wasted his prime waiting around when he could've been building his legacy.
Yeah, sorry.

Legacy doesn’t pay the bills. Fighting and beating top contenders is a painful way of becoming a star.

I guess he‘s an economic thinker not just in the cage, but also when he picks his fights.

Woodley injured his shoulder in the Maia fight, and instead of getting surgery, he waited 6 months before getting surgery.

He wanted a big fight with Bisping, both Diaz bros, Conor, and GSP, but it never happened. Once RDA became the next clear contender, he decides to get shoulder surgery.

Then Woodley acts confused when they book RDA in a title fight with Covington, saying that he would've been ready to fight by then.

I know it makes financial sense to want big fights, but in waiting for these big fights to never happen, he wasted part of his athletic prime when he could be fighting and building his legacy.

Woodley is no spring chicken, so I think this was a bad miscalculation on his career going forward.
let's review.

a) he said in no uncertain terms that he needed surgery, he knew he needed surgery, he eventually was going to get surgery,
b) but would put off surgery if and only if he got an easier fight for higher than usual money.
c) he didn't get an easier fight for higher than usual money,
d) so he got surgery.

seems to me like, unlike most folks, he reviewed the options, conducted a rational risk analysis, and then made some difficult but appropriate choices based on reality.

you're now saying he didn't make good choices. but you haven't really explained why putting off surgery for 3 months in an attempt to get one big payday was a bad choice.

Last edited:
let's review.

a) he said in no uncertain terms that he needed surgery, he knew he needed surgery, he eventually was going to get surgery,
b) but would put off surgery if and only if he got an easier fight for higher than usual money.
d) so he got surgery.

seems to me like, unlike most Americans, he reviewed the options, conducted a rational risk analysis, and then made some difficult but appropriate choices based on reality.

you're now saying he didn't make good choices. but you haven't really explained why putting off surgery for 3 months in an attempt to get one big payday was a bad choice.
If you can't capitalize a sentence properly, don't try to insult other people's thinking ability.

Gustaffson is the same way; neither guy believes in "making hay while the sun shines" it seems. Very few people in mma are getting rich; especially considering they won't have reliable ways to make money for the rest of their lives (opening a gym/being a coach are both risky ventures). I genuinely wonder if it's the right decision. Woodley waited out for sooo long for a title shot he got off a technicality but that paid off - will this?

If you can't capitalize a sentence properly, don't try to insult other people's thinking ability.
heh. i'm not criticizing. but ya, for a second i forgot how upset some people get about minor perceived threats to their...i don't even know what. nationalism?

i'll edit it, and i apologize.

let's review.

d) so he got surgery.

seems to me like, unlike most folks, he reviewed the options, conducted a rational risk analysis, and then made some difficult but appropriate choices based on reality.

I think Woodley has generally made smart choices with his career. He seems like a prudent guy to me. But I think TS is right that he let a lot of time slip by while making this past decision. He could be back already.

I think one thing that TS may not be factoring in is that being champ seems to be lucrative even without fighting.

well, that's a bit of a cop out. you said:

and i responded with:

you haven't really explained why putting off surgery for 3 months in an attempt to get one big payday was a bad choice.

so if you want to have a discussion (usually the point of starting a thread), i'll participate. i think i presented my point with foundation pretty well, caps or not. if i didn't, feel free to counter.

I think Woodley has generally made smart choices with his career. He seems like a prudent guy to me. But I think TS is right that he let a lot of time slip by while making this past decision. He could be back already.

I think one thing that TS may not be factoring in is that being champ seems to be lucrative even without fighting.
TS didn't even bring up his prior 18 month hiatus which people mocked incessantly....and paid him off with millions. talk about a risk! and it paid off handsomely. i still think Dana made a bad decision giving him a title shot after refusing to fight a contender. but it worked.

so i agree, he generally has made prudent decisions.

6 months out of a 36 y/o's life is 50% of his athletic prime gone down the drain?

TS didn't even bring up his prior 18 month hiatus which people mocked incessantly....and paid him off with millions. i agree, he generally has made prudent decisions.

If Woodley could have secured a big name fight it would have been the financial capstone to a successful career, especially if we're talking GSP.

He's the new Ryan Reynolds. This is going to pay off when he's doing backflips on X-men.

Cant hate on a fighter for wanting big fights.

Sometimes all it takes Is one to really put someone on the map.

Look at Nate. Asked for big fights for a long time. Even sat out for a year not fighting. He finally got one and It changed his life.

At the end of the day, why are you even doing this? From Tyron Woodley's perspective, what does fighting RDA or Colby even do for him? They're just the same old boring fights..

it will be glorious when RDA detach woodley from his head

no he didn't. he is a huge whiner. also tried to duck these fights as much as possible wanting to fight nick, nate, GSP, mcgregor...... but when the ufc shut down every opportunity, he then was forced to fight demian and wonderboy

He arguably should be 0-1-1 against WB, not 1-0-1. And against Maia, he had a PATHETIC display. The only good thing he did that fight was stuff takedowns, which was admittedly impressive. But then he spent half the fight with his back against the fence, ON THE FEET AGAINST MAIA!!

Woodley has done nothing to raise his stock and deserves nothing.

Back