What is the point of the early morning weigh-ins?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of fighters seem to have been missing weight since it has been introduced

so fighters can miss weight and force themselves to cut even more weight last minute and pretend its a better thing because they have longer time to rehydrate

so now we have shitty fake "ceremonial weigh ins" where fighters weigh in with shoes

and really awkward early weigh-ins streamed online where Ariel Helwani talks in a low voice very creepily while half naked fighters are about to die on a scale

summary: they have more time to drink vitamin water, but because they have less time to cut weight, and as you can see sometimes we have guys fill-in on 2 days notice sometimes, they are literally on the verge of chopping off a limb to make weight now. And we as a fan lost the REAL traditional televised weigh-ins

So they have a longer time to redehydrate whilst simultaneously killing themselves even more.

If it worked right, then fighters would have more time to rehydrate before their fight, assuming that they make weight.

But the time of the weigh in makes no difference to a fighter that is determined to fuck up their weight cut.

point

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/...rly-weigh-in-procedure-for-ufc-fight-night-89
The idea, developed by doctors, is to give the athletes more time to rehydrate after their weight cut. A byproduct is now fighters will be dehydrated for a shorter amount of time -- and going without food and water for a shorter amount of time -- rather than waiting hours to be transported to the venue and for the weigh-in show to begin.​

counterpoint

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/10/george...h-in-policy-its-the-worst-thing-they-could-do
“I think the new rule of doing the weigh-in earlier is bad because it makes the fighter cut more weight,” St-Pierre on Wednesday told MMAjunkie at a UFC 217 media day in Montreal. “They have more time for recuperation before the fight. I think it’s the worst thing they could do. It’s good for rehydration because you have more time, but if you know you have more time, you’ll cut more weight. I think it’s bad. I think it’s very bad.”
PS google can be your best friend, if you'll just give her a chance....

I wish they would adopt ONE FC weight cutting rules.

Back