Khabib: Poirier is a worthy title fighter, but I've got no respect for him. I will break Conor.

shoorik1987

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A couple of hours ago Khabib had a big 1 hour long Q&A session with press and students of his former university (yes Khabib went to university :)).

When asked about who he is fighting next he said (around 27th minute):

There is no opponent at the moment, but there are negotiations about a possible fight at the end of the year. For me it makes no difference to be honest. I will fight whoever they give me. As long as I am healthy and have a desire to fight I will be defending my title.

There are negotiations about a fight with McGregor, but I don't want the negotiations to draw out and take to long.If I won't be able to come to an agreement with Conor to fight by the end of this year I would like to fight Poirier or another fighter.

(Some people in the crowd say he's not good enough)

Not good enough for a UFC title fight you say? I don't agree with that. He's fought 20 fights in the UFC. He is a worthy fighter, but I sure don't have any respect for Dustin.

If I fight Conor, you won't see a fight like with Barboza or Iaquinta. With Conor I'll wrestle, take him down and break him.

Anyone know why Khabib would say this about Poirier? Has he been trash talking?

UPDATE:

Think that I've found the reason why Khabib is upset.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/18/dustin-poirier-khabib-ufc-title-shot/

At the end of the interview:

Is there anything you want to say to Khabib?

"Shine that belt up nice, hang on to it tight, 'cause it's gonna come home with me."

giphy.gif

IMHO Khabib will shine the floor with Poirier.

Last edited:
I can't really see conor ever stepping foot in the octagon with Khabib.

Not only would he lose, but it would be a humiliating loss.

There's paper championships...and then there's Khabib's decorative championship

What was he supposed to do? Decline the championship fight that the UFC offered him?

You are delusional. Tony pulled out. Holloway pulled out. Conor didn't take the fight.
So Khabib should've said fuck it, I'm not gonna fight anybody? I'm not gonna save the card?
Is that preferable for you?

Yeah terrified against someone that can't finish a realtor.

Khabib's dad from 2:36 about Conor bus fighting situation.

- So Conor is calling out Khabib for a fight. At this point in time a fighter is needed like air, to save the card (UFC 223). Am I right? He has every opportunity to sign the contract and fight Khabib in the octagon. But he doesn't step up and take the fight. That says everything about who's who.

Last edited:
"Possible fight by the end of the year"....it's fuckin April. Khabib with a belt is gonna fight even less than Khabib without a belt.

No offense but I honestly don't think champions have this mindset. IMO they're utterly confident even to the point of being delusional on occasion.

What was he supposed to do? Decline the championship fight that the UFC offered him?

You are delusional. Tony pulled out. Holloway pulled out. Conor didn't take the fight.
So Khabib should've said fuck it, I'm not gonna fight anybody? I'm not gonna save the card?

One need not fault Habib to recognize that his title is weak.

I think one thing he could have done is try to get a title defense scheduled quickly. He didn't seem to take much damage vs Iaquinta and the division has been log-jammed for a while, so there's several decent fights he could take. Instead we have to play the waiting game. So much for Khabib saving the LW division. He'll be better than Conor because he'll fight rarely while Conor never defended at all. But outside of that comparison, Khabib is likely to be a very inactive champ.

No offense but I honestly don't think champions have this mindset. IMO they're utterly confident even to the point of being delusional on occasion.

You're right. Conor has a ton of title defenses.

giphy.gif

Conor via TKO. Just like Rocky the dude has done the impossible quite a few times.

Didn't he say Conor would have to step to the back of the line or some shit ?

You've got comprehension issues.

No ones faulting khabib, but it doesn’t make the belt any more legitimate because it made sense to accept it

Or he knocks Khabib out in the first few rounds... either or... lol

Khabib's dad from 2:36 about Conor bus fighting situation.

- So Conor is calling out Khabib for a fight. At this point in time a fighter is needed like air, to save the card (UFC 223). Am I right? He has every opportunity to sign the contract and fight Khabib in the octagon. But he doesn't step up and take the fight. That says everything.

I hate what Conor did to both 145 and 155... but, sorry, he is supposed to save Khabib's card? WTF for? He has no stake in it.

Yea, Conor's a bitch for making the UFC LW title into a prop to aide his reality tv lifestyle... but, the fact remains that he has shown up for every fight he has agreed to no matter the weight, no matter the circumstances.

That is much more professionalism than Khabib has shown in his career.

Back