Edgar vs Cub = Bisping vs Gastelum?

Hardcore MMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
i was looking at the card for UFC Atlantic City, and I completely forgot that Edgar vs Swanson was on the card. Frankie just lost to Ortega vs KO on March 3rd, the first time in his career he’s been KOed. Now he’s returning after a month and a half to take on a heavy hitter in Cub Swanson. Does anyone else think that Edgar is returning too soon? You gotta respect Edgar’s willingness to get back in there so soon, but this reminds me of what happened with Bisping returning to action a month after getting his ass beat by GSP. Bisping needed more time to recover, and he got smashed by Gastelum. Anyone else think Frankie should have given it a little more time before returning?

Edgar is definitely returning to soon but he still wins this easy imo. Bisping was always custom made for Kelvin and would have been knocked out by him even if he had proper rest

I don’t know, bisping is more shot than Edgar and Gastelum is better than Cub.

Edgar should’ve took some time off for sure though. I still think he’ll win 30-27.

Swanson is much more beatable (particularly finishable) than Gastelum IMO, not as close to a title shot (i.e. he'll never beat the top 5 guys like Gastelum would)

Also remember that 185 is a solid 40lbs heavier, much more power there, likely to KO

Its still a bad fight for Edgar to take, due to his recent KO loss, and that Cub can crack

But I'd say significantly less likely than that scenario

No because Bisping didn't have a way to get the fight to the ground. Edgar knows the way to beat Cub is to take him down.

Is there any science behind people getting KOd then returning too soon making their chin weaker and higher odds to getting KOd? I think Bisping with a full training camp would have been going face first.

Could be. He is 36 now, & his last win was against Yair who really has no business being in the top 15.

Fighters get old fast especially after the chin gives out. & Frankie is by far the oldest FW in the top 25 or even top 50.

the only similar thing is that a fighter is getting a quick turn around after getting finished, other than that there is not much to compare

Edgar is a legit top contender unlike Bisping who was always a average gatekeeper that just got lucky
Gastelum is a legit top 5 MW who has finished just once in his career and have legit 1 punch KO power unlike Cub who always have been a gatekeeper and even maybe he is washed up at this point

Frankie had over twice the amount of time off that bisping had off and Cub Swanson is an older guy who hasn't beaten a top ten fighter in a long time, so it's not that similar.

But yes, Frankie took this fight far too soon, so it is similar in that aspect.

Well Frankie is fighting again really soon after being finished just like Bisping (not really sure how the AC is allowing that) but I think that's where the similarities end. Yes Cub has power but Frankie dominated him before and unless he really fell off overnight, he shouldn't have too much of a problem doing it again imo. Cub is gonna spend most of this fight on his back.

edgar is pretty good at dancing around the outside for 5 rounds and not gettin hit much
bisping thought he was the better fighter and went toe to toe, and got wrecked by a better fighter

I don't really think either has improved or digressed significantly since there last fight so I expect the same result.

Edgar is an all time great and a former LW champ with multiple title defenses.

Ping is a career journeyman and a fluke “champ” with 0 legit defenses.

Nah

Edgar X Cub = Edgar X Cub

Gonna be a re-run of the first go around

Back