How Big of an Impact Did Hendrick vs Lawler Have on Judging in the UFC?

Gay Jesus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was that the fight that shifted the judging away from the catch wrestling octagon control bias to the current damage per round criteria?

Was that the fight that shifted the judging away from the catch wrestling octagon control bias to the current damage per round criteria?

I remember that fight being a turning point in the change of how future fights are scored.

I think everyone got tired of wrestlers holding people down without doing damage, and Hendricks vs Lawler 2 was the perfect turning point for that.

I still think Hendricks won that fight.

I can see how you think that , he may of been controlling the fight to some degree , but he wasn't doing as much if any damage in that fight , at least that how i remember it.

When Hendricks tried to lay n pray on Magny and lost that was also great

i remember being surprised at the decision, cause i was out that night and reading a pbp, and it made it seem like hendricks was winning.

i figured he was gonna get it with all the talk of him holding/laying on lawler.

giphy.gif

I remember being pleasantly suprised by the decision.

Derrick Lewis getting the nod over Roy Nelson was a similar situation.

Jim Miller vs Joe Lauzon II was another.

I remember wondering how Robbie got that decision but not really caring cuz I was too stoked

I was complaining about the judging for a long time before that fight. I actually remember that fight being the point where I realized judging had changed but I think it started changing before that fight. Good post

Lawler took 1 & 5 & Hendricks easily had 2 & 3. 4 was Johnny's until he stuck his head between Robbies legs and ate elbows & punches for the last minute kinda gave it away.

I'll admit I was certain Johnny had won when the final judge had it 49-46. 48-47 Robbie seemed like the correct scoring imo but I felt Johnny lost it more than Robbie won it tbh

Last edited:
I'm in the minority.

I thought Lawler won the 1st fight and Hendricks won the second.

I had a bet with my friend and I picked Ruthless. I swore I lost the bet when the final horn went off.

I remember thinking the same but I wasn’t mad at the decision at all, I’ve been meaning to go watch that fight again and score it (without audio of course).

I think everyone got tired of wrestlers holding people down without doing damage, and Hendricks vs Lawler 2 was the perfect turning point for that.
Made me loathe Hendricks sticks his head between your legs stays there to get beat up and looked shocked when you lose

I can see how you think that , he may of been controlling the fight to some degree , but he wasn't doing as much if any damage in that fight , at least that how i remember it.

I had a major issue with the judging because Robbie did next to nothing in rounds 2,3 and 4. Just because he turned it on at the end shouldn't give him the fight. And just because Hendricks was boring the last round doesn't mean he lost the rest of the fight.

I remember thinking that Hendricks took it when I heard 49-46 as the third, tiebreaking score. And then all of the sudden, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand NEW!!" and I was literally jumping up and down <Lmaoo>

I had a major issue with the judging because Robbie did next to nothing in rounds 2,3 and 4. Just because he turned it on at the end shouldn't give him the fight. And just because Hendricks was boring the last round doesn't mean he lost the rest of the fight.

Perhaps , but if Hendricks did nothing in the fight but try to control Robbie and deal no damage , only for Robbie to pull out the stops in the last round ..... than i don;t see a problem with Robbie winning the title ... you can just lay and pray while doing nothing ..... it isn't really so much dominating the fight to be honest.

It was one of the first fights (but not the first - I remember Sotopolous vs Stevenson) where they finally stopped awarding some loser for laying on a guy. I'm sorry, but takedowns and clinging to a guy's waist should not equate to dominance if they're outstruck during the duration of the round which occurs on the feet.

Back