Why Ronda was over-rotating her wrists?

LastingEffect

What greater gift than the love of a cat
@purple
Reaction score
Famous Ronda's shadowboxing gif:
giphy.gif

Any reasoning why she was doing that? Maybe to develop a better "snap" at the end of the punch?
As I am aware she wasn't throwing those idiotic punches at fights. Her jabs wasn't that "bad".

I also have seen other female fighters have "similar" habits of over-rotation when punching. So it's just a bad technic?

------- EDIT -------

I really lliked @johndhi answer:

There's a style of punching like that that exists in Russian and Sambo fighting, Fedor has used it, where you turn your wrist to get your shoulder to elevate and protect your chin. You can see it happening in the gif, actually. Could be Ronda was practicing that and when she looks she's looking into the mirror to see if it's working.

That's probably too charitable of an explanation for sherdog to be able to handle but a possibility .

Last edited:
because she didn't lock her wrists and threw arm punches, the force will dangle your wrists and flail your hands.

It's a Glendale thing, bro. You wouldn't know.

not that she's doing it right, but you can rotate your wrists to more vertical if you want to penetrate a tight guard

Her coach taught her to punch by telling her to pretend that she was eating french fries backwards at half speed.

it's most likely for torque and the fact that she's punching air makes them look more flailed than they would if she hit something hard. When I was in Taekwondo, that's how they teach you to throw punches, but twisting the wrists as you throw.

it's most likely for torque and the fact that she's punching air makes them look more flailed than they would if she hit something hard. When I was in Taekwondo, that's how they teach you to throw punches, but twisting the wrists as you throw.
Taekwondo has punches? Basically to the body, right?

Edmond probably told her that snapping your wrists will give you more pop to your punches, but didn't tell her that she was doing it wrong.

Secret Technique only shown to Armenian cucks that go by the name of Edmond

There's a style of punching like that that exists in Russian and Sambo fighting, Fedor has used it, where you turn your wrist to get your shoulder to elevate and protect your chin. You can see it happening in the gif, actually. Could be Ronda was practicing that and when she looks she's looking into the mirror to see if it's working.

That's probably too charitable of an explanation for sherdog to be able to handle but a possibility .

Fedor mostly used that with looping punches, as I can remember.
BTW, I don't really know Sambo.

Jesus most guys in the heavys know fuck all about fighting.....

Her punches are terrible because she isn’t turning her body into her cross. On a cross the force is generated by transitioning your body weight from your rear leg on to your front leg. As you do that, your upper body should rotate so that you rear shoulder comes for and links with the movement of your feet to transfer the force through your arm/fist.

An “arm punch” is where you just twist your upper body, into the punch, but you don’t uses your legs to generate power or transfer weight.

Rousey isn’t even doing that, she’s just flicking her arms out. look at her rear shoulder, bearly a twitch, if anything it moves back at the point she’s supposed to be landing. It looks fucked because there’s no shoulder follow though, so her arm reach full extension then just stop and flick back.

Jesus most guys in the heavys know fuck all about fighting.....

Her punches are terrible because she isn’t turning her body into her cross. On a cross the force is generated by transitioning your body weight from your rear leg on to your front leg. As you do that, your upper body should rotate so that you rear shoulder comes for and links with the movement of your feet to transfer the force through your arm/fist.

An “arm punch” is where you just twist your upper body, into the punch, but you don’t uses your legs to generate power or transfer weight.

Rousey isn’t even doing that, she’s just flicking her arms out. look at her rear shoulder, bearly a twitch. It looks fucked because there’s no shoulder follow though, so her arm reach full extension then just stop and flick back.
That's boxing and it's all good.

I think that where is a reason why she's doing that, like a particular technic, for example combat sambo punch.
To think that she doesn't know how to do a basic punch - that's just a insane, that's near to impossible, she's professional fighter.

Back