How many PPVs would a prime Anderson Silva vs prime GSP have sold?

Dozer .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As an Anderson fan, I wish this super fight would have happened.

9A87DBB5-E7A7-44B6-B388-292330EE4D9F.jpeg
1D6F933E-36A0-469E-ACA7-6E4B75C92CA7.jpeg

Probably 1.3 to 1.4 mil. Anderson was never a HUGE ppv draw but IIRC BJ penn vs GSP did great numbers and it was one of those belt vs belt scenarios

GSP would have destroyed Anderoid worse than Sonnen did in the first fight.

As a MMA fan I wished Anderson fought Jones

GSP would have destroyed Anderoid worse than Sonnen did in the first fight.
GSP ducked Anderson Silva for a reason. Anderson would have made GSP tap to strikes worse than LW journeyman Matt Serra did.

GSP ducked Anderson Silva for a reason. Anderson would have made GSP tap to strikes worse than LW journeyman Matt Serra did.

I highly doubt that.

GSP was a nightmare matchup for Anderson.

I could see that hitting 1.6-1.8 if it happened at the most prime time

Yea the reason was he new Anderson was a cheating bitch. Also I remmember Anderson fighting at 205 and beating 3 guys but to scared to fight Shogun, and Jones.

Would have been one the biggest... But just another missed opportunity. Not even sure who I would have cheered for...

I highly doubt that.

GSP was a nightmare matchup for Anderson.
GSP didn’t want to fight Anderson for a reason. Seems like GSP fans are much more confident in a fight against prime Anderson than GSP himself.

"Prime" Sivla needed 3 round to finish an average journeyman who had a knee injury.
(Patrick Coté)

Slva would have spent 5 rounds on his back.

At the time, we all thought that. But if Chael could that to Anderson, why not GSP?

edit: I take that back. Prime Chael had "superhuman" stamina. GSP couldn't match that takedown spam and constant work rate. No one could. Even though GSP has better striking and wrestling, I don't think it's enough to match what Chael was capable of.

well, UFC 100 did great. 1.3m PPV sales or so. headlined by Brock v Frank rematch. but it was arguably the most hyped PPV ever.

if it was headlined by GSP v Silva i'm not convinced it does too much more. maybe 1.5m.

but maybe only 1.1m. because as frustrating as we find it, personalities like Conor and Brock are bigger PPV salesmen than so-called "GOAT fighters". for all the reasons everyone here probably already knows.

sadly, MMA fighting by itself just doesn't sell. it was proven with TUF1, and has been demonstrated many times since.

"Prime" Sivla needed 3 round to finish an average journeyman who had a knee injury.
(Patrick Coté)

Slva would have spent 5 rounds on his back.
Matt Serra needed under 4 minutes to make “prime” GSP tap to strikes.

“Prime” GSP needed 5 full rounds to decision one dimensional fighters and LWs for the entirety of his prime.

Back