Shedding some light on why "Bobby knuckles" is not a good nickname for the UK and Australia

James4210

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have heard commentators raving about this nickname for Robert Whitaker but firstly , in the UK and Australia Bobby is not really often interchangeable with Robert ( be Rob or Robby) but more importantly knuckles have a slightly negative and stupid connotation . You would say someone who drags their knuckles has been like an ape and stupid . There's the American term knucklehead , which isn't complimentary. also giving someone a knuckle sandwichis not really a common term.This is just my tuppence worth, it is not a terrible nicknamebut it's not as good as some people think it is from the other side of the pond.

As an Australian, Bobby(and Bob) is definitely interchangeable with Robert...

Yeah but you also drive on the wrong side of the road, so who cares?

sonic_vs_knuckles_gif_preview3_by_aerobian_angel-d3hqdgi.gif

I have heard commentators raving about this nickname for Robert Whitaker but firstly , in the UK and Australia Bobby is not really often interchangeable with Robert ( be Rob or Robby) but more importantly knuckles have a slightly negative and stupid connotation . You would say someone who drags their knuckles has been like an ape and stupid . There's the American term knucklehead , which isn't complimentary. also giving someone a knuckle sandwichis not really a common term.This is just my tuppence worth, it is not a terrible nicknamebut it's not as good as some people think it is from the other side of the pond.
Wtf my 3rd grade teacher was named Robert, all the other teachers always called him bobby, what kind of an Australian are you? (Can’t speak for uk)

Yeah just about the lamest nickname in the UFC. And he doesn’t like it himself. Bit unfortunate he’s got stuck with it.

Bobby Knuckles is awesome. The Reaper is fine too. Fuck all the haters. Peace.

Edit: Nice troll tho.

I always thought one of the aliases for RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan was Bobby Knuckles but I guess I was mistaken. Maybe I was confusing his Bobby Digital, Bobby Boulders and Bobby Steele personas and mashing it with Bumpy Knuckles aka Freddie Foxxx.

I take it you aren't from the UK ? Bobby is definitely interchangeable with Robert on these shores.

Preferably I would call him bobert.

Isn't he "The Reaper"?
That's a decent nickname.

Wtf my 3rd grade teacher was named Robert, all the other teachers always called him bobby, what kind of an Australian are you? (Can’t speak for uk)
Bobby is 100% short for Robert in the UK.

Source: born and raised in UK

Who cares. Nicknames are stupid for 99% of fighters anyway.

I think it's horrible and most people who said it's awesome don't even play fucking Sonic, at least is better than "reaper" I guess...

Back