Long torso/Short legs Vs Short Torso/Long Legs

GrapeJuiceMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive noticed fighters like Cain, Stipe, Yoel Romero, (Who has a longish torso but Its a little more balanced to his leg ratio than others), Volkan, Vitor, and a whole lot of other fighters have Long torsos with shortish legs.

While other fighters like Jones, Whittaker, Brock, Tyron, Ngannou, Carwin, Rumble, Manuwa, have a very short torso with a much higher center of gravity in relation to height..

Now.. Does this make a difference.. Does Lower center of gravity work better for wrestlers, and power punchers who drive from their legs?? But that wouldn't explain Jone's awesome wrestling, leverages, and Rumbles power.....

I ALSO notice a lot of short torso guys move more fluidly. More explosively. And Have wicked power.....

I always notice this about people.......... Any thoughts on the topic??

Low center of gravity is great for amature wrestling not MMA wrestling.

In MMA you have to worry about strikes like knees in the clinch, or elbows on a sprawl which completely changes who you approach a takedown.

It's as different as boxing in MMA to boxing in boxing.

Stance has to be different, your defense is different.

Similar but not the same.

Each fighter will only ever have his own body to fight from. They have no other choice but to learn how to make it work. Part of why fighting styles can vary so much from person to person, it's an expression of doing the best you can with what you've got.

TS, did you ever notice:
Explosive athletes tend to have darker tans.
The darker the tan the longer the reach compared to their height (ginger's have reaches less than their height, people that tan have reaches > their height).
I tan ginger would rule the UFC!

Explain Yoel Romero same reach as me and Robert Whittaker to height ratio.. All of us are 6ft, with a 73inch reach... And why is rampage also 6'1 with a 73inch reach then?? Bas rutten is 6'0 with a 80inch reach and hes white. What now?

I don't know about the torso to leg ratio thing but I've noticed a lot of really good fighters have short torsos and long arms. It makes sense that this would be a good body type as your body would be a smaller target and your arms could block pretty much your entire torso. Aldo and Jones are the main examples of the body type that I'm talking about.

In theory the perfect fighter will have an 90 inch reach 6 ft legs and a small torso to avoid body shots

Stipe has the longest reach for a UFC champ by half a foot compared to the rest

Every champ besides stipe is also six feet or under

Even if you have a short torso....when you are shorter in height in general, your center of gravity tends to be lower regardless(if you are 5'9 and comparativly longer legs than your height....well you probably still have pretty short legs and stocky build....ie cormier, woodley, whittaker, tj, dj, khabib who all have excellent wrestling bases and the more squat build that is unique to it

Jones is a anomaly really....regardless of his amateur collegiate wresting career not displaying world beating abilities, he really has shown that his "MMA wrestling" is on another level

....there's a reason why certain sports are filled with people that have certain physical characteristics and traits....tall and lithe guys don't end up in basket ball and thicker long torso ed don't end up in wrestling by accident....there are inherit advantages for certain sports by having a certain body type

Explain Yoel Romero same reach as me and Robert Whittaker to height ratio.. All of us are 6ft, with a 73inch reach... And why is rampage also 6'1 with a 73inch reach then?? Bas rutten is 6'0 with a 80inch reach and hes white. What now?
<DisgustingHHH>

Back