Robert Whittaker: I won't fight Yoel Romero if he miss weight at UFC 225

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“I don’t understand anyone who takes fights when their opponent doesn’t make weight. It’s like, if you rock up at 87 kilos, which is what Romero did – It was like 86 kilos or something like that – then why don’t I rock up at 95 (kgs)? What’s the difference? We’re both not making weight, we’re both not professional enough to do it, you know? And the weight cut is directly influential to the fight itself. I think not making weight is the most unprofessional thing you can do. It’s as bad as just not showing up for the fight itself. So, if you don’t make weight, I’m not fighting you. I’ll give the shot to someone else who can make the weight, who can do their freaking job.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Good. That being said I would think Romero can make weight now since he will have a full camp.

Hmm. How will Sherdog react to this one?

Does Yoel even have a history of missing weight?

Calm down Bobby Knux.

If Yoel missed weight intentionally vs. Rocksalt because he knew he was getting the TS regardless, I'd say that's pretty fucking sleazy.

Agreed.

It's part of the job.

Especially in a title fight, Whittaker is well within his rights.

Romero has to make 185 even to have belt, so i beleive he will.

Still hoping Bobby KOs him!

Thats fair. One guy going through cutting those GRUELING last 2-3 lbs is at a significant disadvantage against someone that doesnt.

Calm down Bobby Knux.

If Yoel missed weight intentionally vs. Rocksalt because he knew he was getting the TS regardless, I'd say that's pretty fucking sleazy.

Missing weight, maybe not. But a disregard for rules? Yeah

That said this is one of those things where an article and headline were made out of an interview where a bunch of questions were asked and he answers. It's not like he held a press conference to announce this. Don't think he needs to calm down lol

I see where he's coming from with this but I think he's looking for a way out on the rematch already. He knows Yoel will be ready this time.

what's the difference between 87 and 95kg, is he serious?

if he misses weight by a little bit, I don't see how you wouldn't fight him. on of the GOATs, anderson, fought travis lutter when he came in overweight, and of course whooped his ass

This is true, tho if he does, he will get REEMED on here. Luke wanted to get paid and figured if he already made the weight, then just scrap. With hindsight 20\20, it turned out to be a horrible idea. I realize Yoel took the fight in short notice but he agreed to the terms, AND, it would not surprise me if he could have made the weight of just intentionally planned in missing it because he wanted the W and did not value the interim.

Calm down Bobby Knux.

The reporter probably asked him what he’d do if Yoel missed weight. Bobby is usually quite laid back. That said I think Yoel will make weight

Romero gets a pass since he accepted on short notice imo.

Should be absolutely nothing controversial about this.

I wish Yoshiuki Yoshida had this policy when he fight rumble johnson. that was not cool

Missing weight, maybe not. But a disregard for rules? Yeah

That said this is one of those things where an article and headline were made out of an interview where a bunch of questions were asked and he answers. It's not like he held a press conference to announce this. Don't think he needs to calm down lol

Ok I take it back. Hespek.

Back