"They want to retire me." - Lyoto Machida

Shep Proudfoot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“They want to retire me, but I don’t want to be retired,” Machida said during the UFC 224 pre-fight presser in Rio de Janeiro (transcript via MMAjunkie). “I have more fights. I have more years. I believe that. Because the verb that I like to say here, it’s not about ‘can,’ but about ‘want.’ If you want something, you can get it. That’s what I put in my mind.”

At 39 years of age, Machida is still looking to face elite competition, as he looks to use his losing streak as motivation to get back on track.

“It’s different because I feel more confident now. I feel like I can give my best,” Machida said. “Because, when you have no options – only victory – you feel a lot of pressure over your shoulders. But once you release everything, it’s showtime. It’s time to show everything I have.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...machida-retire-dont-wan-middleweight-mma-news

I think if Lyoto won the belt, he would argue MW GOAT given his age and what he's accomplished. I don't see it happening, though. Father time does its thing.

GO TO BELLATOR OR RIZIN...<209Bitch>...GO HAVE SOME FUN

YOU'VE EARNED IT!

*not sure if Lyoto's hearing aid is turned up*

He's got another few cups of piss in him, metaphorically speaking.

Yeah.. he should go to Bellator. He is getting killed at the top of the UFC division.

A rematch with Mousasi would be fun.

Even if he should retire. It's disrespectful to ask him to retire.

He's still young enough. Look how old Cormier is. I remember before USADA guys around that late 30 age who were taking shit were fucking dudes up because they didn't lose their experience and that played a huge factor in Henderson, Silva etc..

If Bellator doesnt give a shit about it then that would be a good place for him. He is still a tough fight for anybody. If you can't figure him out or cant get your shot to connect you're screwed.

“They want to retire me, but I don’t want to be retired,” Machida said during the UFC 224 pre-fight presser in Rio de Janeiro (transcript via MMAjunkie). “I have more fights. I have more years. I believe that. Because the verb that I like to say here, it’s not about ‘can,’ but about ‘want.’ If you want something, you can get it. That’s what I put in my mind.”

At 39 years of age, Machida is still looking to face elite competition, as he looks to use his losing streak as motivation to get back on track.

“It’s different because I feel more confident now. I feel like I can give my best,” Machida said. “Because, when you have no options – only victory – you feel a lot of pressure over your shoulders. But once you release everything, it’s showtime. It’s time to show everything I have.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...machida-retire-dont-wan-middleweight-mma-news

I think if Lyoto won the belt, he would argue MW GOAT given his age and what he's accomplished. I don't see it happening, though. Father time does its thing.

MW GOAT= GSP given his age and what he's accomplished

He's still young enough. Look how old Cormier is. I remember before USADA guys around that late 30 age who were taking shit were fucking dudes up because they didn't lose their experience and that played a huge factor in Henderson, Silva etc..

If Bellator doesnt give a shit about it then that would be a good place for him. He is still a tough fight for anybody. If you can't figure him out or cant get your shot to connect you're screwed.

Move in and bang with him. Shogun figured it out twice.

Guys that start later can fight later. It's not necessarily age but mileage.

oh, did he ? Lyoto got a UD win. You don't leg kick your way to a belt. Cry more. Rogan's bias commentary obviously convinced you more than actually watching the fight.

Wut? Everybody thought Shogun won. Which is why he got the rematch where he smashed Machida. And Machida gets destroyed by everybody who followed the Shogun tactic instead of fucking around to get countered.

Machida Era ended during Machida/Shogun 1.

Wut? Everybody thought Shogun won. Which is why he got the rematch where he smashed Machida. And Machida gets destroyed by everybody who followed the Shogun tactic instead of fucking around to get countered.

Machida Era ended during Machida/Shogun 1.

Lyoto clearly landed the better strikes in their first fight.
Rua has done horrible in the UFC. No more PRIDE juice.

Machida vs Belfort is a must see !

Would like to see him vs a one-fight comeback of Cung Le.

If he gets Ko'd in his next fight he should retire for his own health and safety. Big fan of the dragon, but pretty sure his days at the top have passed....his reaction time has slipped and for his style that is really bad.

"They" want to retire you. We want you to retire. And, worst of all, YOU don't want to FIGHT. You want to play touch karate and run away. You seldom throw combinations. You do one "touch" and dance out of danger. THAT ISN'T FIGHTING.

Back