Just Rewatched Stipe vs. Overeem

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This has to be one of the funniest fights I've ever seen.

CsDA1NfUAAAZJNw-768x442.jpg

As for the fight itself:
- Reem actually landed a lot of good shots. He wasn't bad boxing-wise; it just looked like he had no answer to Stipe's pressure and panicked (aka typical Reem). He was able to tag Stipe quite a few times, but Stipe has some good recovery.

knockdown-vs-overeem.gif

Ugggggh, why does Stipe keep his hands down so much!

- Stipe was so calm in boxing range. He unloaded combos twice, I believe, and each time they seemed effortless. He wasn't winging shots or exploding into them.

- Reem definitely lost his composure halfway through the round and started winging hooks. Typical Reem. Stipe, on the other, kept patient.

- Great takedown from Stipe after catching what looked to be a lazily thrown sidekick from Reem. When was the last time Reem was ground and pounded?

stipe-takedown.gif

- More Reem hilarity:

Best-of-Francis-Ngannou-vs-Alistair-Overeem-UFC-218.gif

screenshot_20180126-011111_20180129000727575-jpg.331475

Credit to @Dilaanf_ for the pic

all those screenshots of Reem getting that work though...

<{you!}>

That looked like a school yard fight than a pro mma fight

If you liked that, you'll love Njokuani vs Horodecki.

Yeah it was strange. Another perfect example of how Stipe throws great fighters into a complete panic. It's actually true for almost every single one of his KO wins.

He makes his opponents feel unbelievably uncomfortable even at range with only his footwork. The aggression is a lot to deal with, especially when he's a better boxer than everyone he fights.

As far as his hands being down... I don't like it, but in that gif it's clear that he was starting to feel very safe in there. Too safe. Credit to Overeem for setting it up nicely. All the most effective offense that Stipe has absorbed has come as a result of his opponent using his aggression against him.

This tells you why Reem was on his bike or covering up vs Stipe, he's still rubbish in close boxing exchanges the same as he always has been without K-1 gloves, picking shots on the outside is his strength.

Stipe CLEARLY tapped.

Overeem should’ve been champ.

I worry about Stipe's ability to always be so patient, weathering the storm of Heavyweights. He gets tagged quite a bit, and one day the chin just won't hold.

Yeah it was strange. Another perfect example of how Stipe throws great fighters into a complete panic. It's actually true for almost every single one of his KO wins.

He makes his opponents feel unbelievably uncomfortable even at range with only his footwork. The aggression is a lot to deal with, especially when he's a better boxer than everyone he fights.

As far as his hands being down... I don't like it, but in that gif it's clear that he was starting to feel very safe in there. Too safe. Credit to Overeem for setting it up nicely. All the most effective offense that Stipe has absorbed has come as a result of his opponent using his aggression against him.
Stipe reminds me a lot of Cain in that regard. He might not have Cain's pain, but his style of pressing forward and giving his opponents no space is similar, at least to me. That's why I wish Cain could be magically healed and come back.

Rogan say , overeem is literally running away..

Stipe lucky he recovered quick because he ran into that one shot real. Bad ...

Stipe was recklessly running forward since the bell started that entire fight. .

I worry about Stipe's ability to always be so patient, weathering the storm of Heavyweights. He gets tagged quite a bit, and one day the chin just won't hold.
I don't get why he can't just raise his hands a little more and tuck his chin. Or at the very least tuck his chin, since he's probably gonna have his hands low due to DC's wrestling.

Back