Paige Vanzant moving to 125 after eating disorder & seeing Uriah Hall's kidney failure

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In a recent interview with BBC's Newsbeat, she said she developed an eating disorder on her various treks down to 115 pounds.
Weight cutting—a practice in which athletes lose massive amounts of weight ahead of contests in order to compete in lighter divisions—is rife in MMA. While the majority of cuts are without incident, a number of fighters die each year because of complications.
The UFC, to this point, has avoided seeing one of its athletes die from a weight cut, but there have been some troubling situations.
"I was at a fight where a fellow UFC fighter, Uriah Hall, was cutting weight, and he pushed himself just to the brink of death," she told Newsbeat. "He had kidney failure and started seizing in the hallway right in front of me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-myself-an-eating-disorder-to-make-the-weight

I hope this division doesn't end up like Cyborg's with like 2 fighters. It's interesting to see eating problems among different MMA athletes though. There's this on one end and then guys that can't even make weight 20 lbs above their natural weight class. It's like -- don't purge yourself of food and don't stuff yourself with food -- why can't people on either end of the spectrum just count calories responsibly and be done with it?

That's the gamut of eating problems though, I guess. It must be the same reason why most people can drink responsibly but some can not.

Didn't Daniel Cormier also suffer kidney failure in the Olympics or something?

IMO, it's only a matter of time until a UFC fighter dies unless the UFC preemptively reforms the weight classes and cutting.

Last edited:
Can someone give this broad a role in a tv show so she can dissapear?

Respect for her ! Fighters should be closer to their natural weight.

In a recent interview with BBC's Newsbeat, she said she developed an eating disorder on her various treks down to 115 pounds.
Weight cutting—a practice in which athletes lose massive amounts of weight ahead of contests in order to compete in lighter divisions—is rife in MMA. While the majority of cuts are without incident, a number of fighters die each year because of complications.
The UFC, to this point, has avoided seeing one of its athletes die from a weight cut, but there have been some troubling situations.
"I was at a fight where a fellow UFC fighter, Uriah Hall, was cutting weight, and he pushed himself just to the brink of death," she told Newsbeat. "He had kidney failure and started seizing in the hallway right in front of me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-myself-an-eating-disorder-to-make-the-weight

I hope this division doesn't end up like Cyborg's with like 2 fighters. It's interesting to see eating problems among different MMA athletes though. There's this on one end and then guys that can't even make weight 20 lbs above their natural weight class. It's like -- don't purge yourself of food and don't stuff yourself with food -- why can't people on either end of the spectrum just count calories responsibly and be done with it?

That's the gamut of eating problems though, I guess. It must be the same reason why most people can drink responsibly but some can not.

Didn't Daniel Cormier also suffer kidney failure in the Olympics or something?

IMO, it's only a matter of time until a UFC fighter dies unless the UFC preemptively reforms the weight classes and cutting.

You mean staying at 125??She already fought there and before that was scheduled to fight Eye at 125 but got injured.She hasn't been 115 since 2016 and i'm pretty sure said she was going to 125 soon after that fight.The Hall incident was this year so I have no clue why this is even a story.Maybe she said she wanted to go back to 115?They make stories about anything now.

Let me know when she gets to 145

DATASS.jpg

Wish her luck, but she will be nothing more than a snack for Valentina.

Good move for her though. 125 is a lot thinner than 115. 115 is actually pretty fucking decent. Deepest women's division by a mile:
  • Rose Namajunas. • Record: 7-3.
  • Joanna Jedrzejczyk. • Record: 14-1.
  • Jessica Andrade. • Record: 17-6.
  • Claudia Gadelha. • Record: 15-3.
  • Karolina Kowalkiewicz. • Record: 11-2.
  • Tecia Torres. • Record: 10-1.
But I expect a few other 115 fighters to move up too. Claudia and some others will likely move up and will destroy her too.

I never watched a single fight of her and don't plan to.
That's the only way to be safe. Some people who make the mistake of actually watching fighters fight end up being entertained by the experience. Especially when the fighter in question has been awarded both Fight Of The Night and Performance Of The Night bonuses, as is the case with VanZant.

Last edited:
Back