Do amateur records mean anything to you?

Parang

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
They kind of do to me, especially if hes already the more experienced guy in a matchup.
I also put lots of respect to anyone who lost their first fight, cause it means if they lose again theyre not gonna quit. It makes me wish I could see Khabibs sambo record and Joannas muay thai record. I remember some other organization tried to market Jerrell Hodge as "The Man Who Killed The King" cause he KO'd Cody Garbrandt in their last amateur fight. Does any of that mean shit to you guys

Lomachenko and Rigo having over 300 amateur bouts but being billed as 0-0 in their debuts against some dude is pretty fucked imo. I think amateur bout records should be in brackets for the first couple of fights imo.

Not really. It could be like Kramer dominating the dojo.

3B468D40-5B03-4327-9868-829463382FFA.jpeg

With the girls yes, many of them have very extensive ammy careers mainly as its harder for them to get pro fights

People slate the girls who are like 2-0 while ignoring that they may have ten or more amateur fights. Most guys after a couple of amateur fights get paid even if it's only $50

Only if it's extraordinarily positive or negative. If someone has literally no amateur record or an awful losing record, I will be suspect. If they have an extremely impressive amateur record, I may have high hopes for them. Anything in between doesn't matter much to me. That's just me and my opinion, though.

With the girls yes, many of them have very extensive ammy careers mainly as its harder for them to get pro fights

People slate the girls who are like 2-0 while ignoring that they may have ten or more amateur fights. Most guys after a couple of amateur fights get paid even if it's only $50

That's a good point. JJ and Valentina have very impressive amateur records, for example. JJ fought like 70 times before her first MMA fight. There are many other examples, too.

Lots of the best fighters dont have an amateur record.
Yes, only because I’m 1-3 and highly ashamed of myself.
Dog you shouldnt be ashamed, youve seen what happens to even the best. Howd you get your win?

Is that the only difference between pro and amateur, is that if you get paid they call it pro? I guess thats fair if so, but kinda misleading lol

Yes and no. Depends on against whom and doing great in some regionals mean a lot more then others.

Is that the only difference between pro and amateur, is that if you get paid they call it pro? I guess thats fair if so, but kinda misleading lol
Yes , pay is the main definition for pro (and standard 3x 5 minute rounds).

Mma needs more structure, my “pro” fight is really an amateur fight in my opinion

Yes , pay is the main definition for pro (and standard 3x 5 minute rounds).

Mma needs more structure, my “pro” fight is really an amateur fight in my opinion
First off respect to you, I live near the great lakes, never seen that organization but that mustve been crazy and good job man
But Id agree with what you say about structure, I have an issue with main events being 5 rounds, that means fame changes the way you train? Fuck that, you mean to tell me that Renan Barao fights three rounds cause he isnt as marketable, whereas youre going to stick someone else in for 5 rounds because theyve created enough social media buzz to maim event? Thats just wrong. I see the other way too though, maybe you cant stick everyone in for 5 rounds cause you dont have enough time, or maybe theyre worried it will be too boring and that people will play it too safe if its 5 rounds. But there should be some consistency. Maybe all fights inside the top 15 should be 5x5's but maybe it should only be title fights. But i dont think it should be only main events, thats wrong.

Back