Volkov's Guard

illclint

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Didnt see the fight but i noticed volkov got put on his back a couple times. Is his guard legit or was Werdum content just to ground and pound?

I only saw about half the fight but it looked like he could hold his own.

Didnt see the fight but i noticed volkov got put on his back a couple times. Is his guard legit or was Werdum content just to ground and pound?

strategy was to keep guard closed and just survive -- wasn't impressed

only reason he won cuz Werdum gassed himself out

His submission defense was very good.

I think Werdum was content to GnP in the first round but when he tried going for submissions, Volkov was still able to defend well.

Props to Volkov for surviving long enough to see Werdum tire himself out.

The fight was entertaining. I was talking to a friend of mine before the fight that Werdum's top position didn´t look very tight against Tybura and he was able to get up plenty of times, Werdum wasn´t able to capitalize against him, meaning he didn´t inflict any serious damage on the gnp, and didn´t offer any danger with submissions either against Tybura.

But I was surprised to see that Werdum had made the necessary adjustments for this Volkov fight and was doing much better there and inflicting damage. And he did good in the 2 initial rounds, where he managed to take Volkov down quite a few times, regardless of his techiniques not looking that crisp.

But in the 3rd round I think Werdum made a huge mistake, a turning point in the fight, where he lost a very important position when he attempted an armbar when he should´ve gone for Volkov's back, stay there, secure the 3rd round. Again, props to Volkov for having better cardio, being durable, and for picking his shots when he had the opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.

Werdum has lost it.

I've seen him on the ground with Browne, Overeem and Volkov, not one submission.

2 of those guys have essentially no grappling to speak of. Fabricio is supposed to have the best BJJ in MMA history.

Werdum has lost it.

I've seen him on the ground with Browne, Overeem and Volkov, not one submission.

2 of those guys have essentially no grappling to speak of. Fabricio is supposed to have the best BJJ in MMA history.
He submitted his opponents when it mattered the most.
tumblr_mnzyjeQMmP1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
Fabricio%2BWerdum%2BSubmits%2BCain%2BVelasquez%2BUFC%2B188.gif

I think we found out how much better P4P BJJ Maia has than Werdum, tho Werdum would likely win in a match. You would never see Maia squander positions and positional dominance like that.

Some people don't know shit about jiu jitsu.

Volkov showed excellent skill in retaining guard against a high level black belt. There were times Werdum passed to half and Volkov was able to reguard effectively. Most impressive was the deep De La Riva hook he used to get to his feet toward the end of the first.

Those who "aren't impressed" don't know what the hell you're watching.

Werdum acted weird when Volkov escaped int eh first round. When eh stood up, he looked gassed, and out of it, and that allowed Volkov to land some heavy shots.

Honestly, Werdum had some great moves in that match but he looked out of shape.

Volkov definite had some nice guard work; especially some nice sweeps.

I was impressed by Wedum's half-guard sweeps considering his size.

He was pretty decent. It was on the feet where he really did the most of his work.

It's mainly that he's huge and hard to pass the guard cause his legs are so long. That combined with werdums cardio looking worse than it normally is

I thought he did great. Werdum didn’t do shit and as far as I’m concerned that’s a huge victory within a fight. Arguably the most dangerous HW on the ground wore himself out and lost because of it. He played werdums game and finished the fight after forcing doom to play his.

Props to Volkov for surviving long enough to see Werdum tire himself out.

The fight was entertaining. I was talking to a friend of mine before the fight that Werdum's top position didn´t look very tight against Tybura and he was able to get up plenty of times, Werdum wasn´t able to capitalize against him, meaning he didn´t inflict any serious damage on the gnp, and didn´t offer any danger with submissions either against Tybura.

But I was surprised to see that Werdum had made the necessary adjustments for this Volkov fight and was doing much better there and inflicting damage. And he did good in the 2 initial rounds, where he managed to take Volkov down quite a few times, regardless of his techiniques not looking that crisp.

But in the 3rd round I think Werdum made a huge mistake, a turning point in the fight, where he lost a very important position when he attempted an armbar when he should´ve gone for Volkov's back, stay there, secure the 3rd round. Again, props to Volkov for having better cardio, being durable, and for picking his shots when he had the opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.

Solid analysis. I agree about the arm bar attempt being the turning point. Werdum started to fade, and you could visably see Volokovs confidence rising.

Props to Werdum for still fighting with a young man's spirit, going for hail Mary attacks. That being said, this was a very winnable fight for Werdum, had he fought a smarter fight.

Much to the detriment of the fans, but Werdum would be talking about his impending title shot rather than contemplating retirement. This sport is nuts.

Last edited:
Werdum acted weird when Volkov escaped int eh first round. When eh stood up, he looked gassed, and out of it, and that allowed Volkov to land some heavy shots.

Honestly, Werdum had some great moves in that match but he looked out of shape.

Volkov definite had some nice guard work; especially some nice sweeps.

I was impressed by Wedum's half-guard sweeps considering his size.
U know I thought the same and rewatched the moment where he "got wierd". He got hit by a knee that dazed him. Hard to see from the angles they show

Legit... The guy didn't get finished by someone with A-Level BJJ... Will be interesting against Miocic or Cormier.

Back