In UFC your star power sizzles fast, look at Andrei Arlovski from star to undercard guy

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember how popular Arlovski was back in the day and now he is nothing, for the past several years he has been fighting lower level cards or undercards, this guy used to be the hot heavyweight at the time.

When he had that long hair and headlining.

People don't even care about him anymore

Its different than boxing, Boxers can lose a few fights but their name value still draws and they headline, it takes years for them to be really washed up to fight on a fight pass or undercard on regular tv before the main card.

Look at Anderson Silva during his reign everyone was talking about him he lost a few and then was nothing, I mean when Ali was fighting in his later age everyone still tuned in he wasn't an undercard guy

I just feel UFC fans are fickle, they are trendy and into fads, I mean all these guys are legends and they move on tot he next guy which is Conor McGregor

I never seen this before they almost act like Arlovski never existed, or BJ Penn, I saw BJ walking around during a UFC fight pre workout and nobody was going up to him like they used to, people would just walk buy him and these are UFC fans, maybe a few were asking for pics and autographs but not like in his prime

Compare this to Boxing events, old ass Roberto Duran is walking there and people mob him, or Fernando Vargas or Oscar de la hoya all the fans are mobbing them showing respect, they announce these retired fighters on the stage during the weigh in and people cheer.

No.

Eddie Alvarez fought on the prelims last year, just a few months after he was once champion.

What do you expect? Let's give this guy who gets knocked out by top 10 guys consistently a marquee match up, ok.

<31>

It's sad , however MMA is still a relatively young sport and maybe some new fans don't appreciate the legends of yesteryear I.E casuals .... however fans that are worth their salt do appreciate faded greats like Penn and Arlovski , unfortunately hardcore fans are few and far between and casuals are the majority , well at least that's my opinion.

BJ Penn fighting and losing to Denis Siver nobody was talking to him during that fight week. Fans forget all about BJ and Andre.

1- didn’t happen fast
2- if it wasn’t the weakest division, AA would probably be cut
3- undercards are not the same as before. UFC is making money with them and they often feature a few popular fighters now.

None of the boxers you mentioned were coming off 5 fight losing streaks, and actually, it only took three in a row for the great Roy Jones to be relegated to small-time cards on second tier promotions.

12 years is fast?

LOL I was going to say it's been 12-13 years since he won the UFC title. He was out of the UFC completely for a long time. He actually ressurrected his career 2 or 3 different times.
TS doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

It was a long time ago in a sports sense, and how much people really cared about him back then is pretty debatable. It isn't true just because Rogan style hype beast shills say "he was on top of the world". He was marginally popular back then, but marketed and labelled as more popular then he really was, hoping it would catch on, because MMA has some type of those fans that just go along with the bs that the promotion shills as being true, as truths.

When there's a general consensus that someone needs to retire, people stop watching them.

In the case of BJ being ignored at open workouts, a lot of mma fans are newer fans, and they weren't around for his glory days. Same with Arlovski. Their primes were a long time ago. People might know who they are, but they didn't witness their big accomplishments live so they don't appreciate them as much as some of us older fans.

UFC is geared towards new fans, established fans can get fucked.

When a supposed sports league trashes a legend like Also to promote a guy like Conor the fan base changes.

Arlovski had a long long stint of popularity. You cant blame the ufc or fans for this. Hes been around way longer than he should have. He gets by now on his name only,pretty much. I thought his fight w barnett was pretty good.

When he had that long hair and headlining.

2005 Arlovski approves this thread

luiMfkX.jpg

I don't think it's a case of fickle fans with Arlovski. A. He just wasn't that good and got exposed as not being an elite fighter. B. MMA is in it's infancy so it makes sense that shit changes overnight.

Back