Is UFC's LHW at its lowest?

Mihauki

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I was wondering how the UFC's LHW ranking gonna change after UFC London. Jimi Manuwa was ranked #4 and Blachowicz was ranked #11. But the UFC ranking is very subjective, since done by MMA media, so I checked also fightmatrix and only found Manuwa at #12 and Blachowicz at #25. I know fighmatix is far from ideal, but at least it's a objective ranking system.
So how come Jimi & Jan are so low at fightranking? In the top 10 you got only 6 UFC fighers. #1 Cormier is going up to HW, he turns 39 on Tuesday and he stated multiple times that he will retire after his 40th birthday (12 months away). #2 Jones will soon leave the rankings and who knows how long the USADA ban will last. #3 & #4 you got Bader & Davis, both fighting for Bellator. If you would tell me 2 years ago, that the top 2 fighters fighting at LHW next aren't from the UFC I would have laughed, but now it looks real.
The only fighter I subjectively see being as good as Bader & Davis is Gustafsson. But he fights once a year, had so many injuries, I do barrely feel like he is around at LHW.
In the top 10 you also got #9 Narkun, who is a free agent now, but says he would prefer to stay at KSW and #10 Vassell. Also #10 HW Lawal fights back at LHW against Bader in May.

If you look at the top 50 at LHW it's filled with non UFC fighers unlike any other division. IMO UFC needs to step up the game and starts paying these fighers more or more top fighters will leave LHW for another org.

Remember when they skipped over Hashad?

member%20berries.png

Yeah, it's pretty poo right now

Only guys I would solidly rate as high level left at LHW are Gus and Glover (who's old), Volkan we need to see more of and the rest... seem like a bunch of journeymen. :( OSP despite his losses still seems like one of the most well-rounded and overall skilled of the rest, which doesn't speak greatly of them.

The only fighter I subjectively see being as good as Bader & Davis is Gustafsson.

Lol at "as good" like Gus is not on a whole different level. If you want to name a UFC LHW who is around the same level as Bader and Davis its Glover, and possibly Volkan.

Jordan Johnson Is a good prospect. I'm curious to see how this guy turns out.

But yea lhw isn't what it once was , they will probably do another season of tuf , to get some new breed eventually

LHW in UFC is pretty weak at the minute.

If Jon Jones only gets a small ban, cormier drops back down, gustafsson starts to fight, rumble comes back, and with oezdemir as a contender and osp, glover and latifi they would only need 1 or 2 more top level fighters to make the division exciting again.

Thats a lot of if's though and unlikely to happen. As it stands the division is garbage.

<DisgustingHHH>

Nonsense, its the best it has ever been right now. Paul Craig and his stinging jab coming for that belt.

Only guys I would solidly rate as high level left at LHW are Gus and Glover (who's old), Volkan we need to see more of and the rest... seem like a bunch of journeymen. :( OSP despite his losses still seems like one of the most well-rounded and overall skilled of the rest, which doesn't speak greatly of them.
Lol u still have a former champ in there on a 3 f8ght win streak

Captura_de_Tela_2017_10_31__s_13.44.06.0.png

I still like the division though, for some reason.

I do know that it's not even near the glory days of LHW, but still I keep tuning in for Glover, Manuwa, Blachowicz, Latifi, OSP, Shogun etc.

Seems like I can't hate on them, or that they actually are entertaining enough for my standards.

I still like the division though, for some reason.

I do know that it's not even near the glory days of LHW, but still I keep tuning in for Glover, Manuwa, Blachowicz, Latifi, OSP, Shogun etc.

Seems like I can't hate on them, or that they actually are entertaining enough for my standards.
Why no love for Cummins or The Next Anderson? :p

Even though LHW may not be what it use to be, its still good fun to watch weight class. We just have to take it NOT serious and just enjoy the old and slow fighters ko'ing new crap fighters and making a run for the title lol

Lol at "as good" like Gus is not on a whole different level. If you want to name a UFC LHW who is around the same level as Bader and Davis its Glover, and possibly Volkan.

I guess Gus will have to join Bellator to prove he is better than Bader and Davis :)
Look Gus made 51k+51k in his last fight, Swedes are willing to pay tons of money to see him fight top competition. UFC Stockholm had a record 3,1 million gate. Its an easy win for all the other orgs to offer 100k+100k to Gus and do a Stockholm show.
Blachowicz gets 36k to show, Latifi 33k. Plus they get peanuts from Reebok. Gus could easily make 100k from sponsorship money, if he fought for another org in Stockholm.

Do you think Davis might have choked Gus cause he was unaware of his level ?

They should announce these level before the fight so we don't have any more embarrassing situations like this one...

UFC scouts guys to fill slots on their 5000000000 cards, not for their talent. That's why this is happening and it will keep happening. LHW and HW aren't weak; the UFC just doesn't sign all of the top talent.

Do you think Davis might have choked Gus cause he was unaware of his level ?

They should announce these level before the fight so we don't have any more embarrassing situations like this one...

Davis himself admitted already years ago he couldnt take down Gus anymore in training, and its not like he didnt struggle with that already when they fought (4 failed attempts out of 5), when Gus was still a part time fighter with zero wrestling. Nice try though, trying to act like a fight back in 2010 when neither fighter were even top30 ranked would somehow be relevant. Gus would be the clear favorite if they fought today and thats all what matters.

Back