Yoel Romero tells us about the Tim Kennedy fight

dros

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I saw the podcast like most of you and he explained his side of the story. So I rewatched the fight.

Yoel won round 1 and was winning all of round 2, Yoel was landing & Kennedy couldn't touch him. Yoel explained Tim was holding his glove in round 2 up against the fence early in the round in which Yoel didnt say anything. Yoel did the same a bit Later and Tim complains. At the end of round 2 right Tim illegally grabbed inside Yoel's glove at the final seconds of round 2 to finally land some shots on him.

Now, under no circumstances in unified rules is it allowed to grab inside the glove to get an unfair advantage and almost TKOing your opponent. Yoel wouldnt have been on the stool in the first place. If anyone cheated it was Tim.

rule #16, subsections D & G
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

''If an injury sustained during competition as a result of an intentional foul, as determined by the referee, causes the injured contestant to beunable to continue at a subsequent point in the contest, the injured contestant shall win by technical decision, if he or she is ahead on the scorecards. If the injured contestant is even or behind on the score cards at the time of stoppage, the outcome of the bout shall be declared a technicaldraw.''

They usually let unintetinal things go, but this sure as fuck did not look unintentional. (Im on phone so if someone can, post the gif)

Yet, has 30seconds extra rest while eye-pokes/groin strikes/illegal elbows/knees etc get up to 5 minutes of rest.

Yoel did nothing wrong. If anything, he was being fair when you look at the big picture.

Ppl hate on Yoel for this but rly it's on his corner anyway

Edit: My bad, it was the cutman
Edit 2: My bad again, it was BJM

Last edited:
I have to look back at the fight. If this is true, Tim Kennedy ought to be ashamed of himself acting like Yoel is a flat out cheater when in fact he was just being hypocritical

I forgot to mention. The cutman put too much vaseline on him and they went out of the cage. John told him to sit on the stool until they came back in. Cutman is an ufc employee and only they are allowed to take care of These things (remember Gsp vaseline gate? How come he doesnt get so much hate for it?)

Dana White said on the post fight press conference they fucked up (the cutman)

I forgot to mention. The cutman put too much vaseline on him and they went out of the cage. John told him to sit on the stool until they came back in. Cutman is an ufc employee and only they are allowed to take care of These things (remember Gsp vaseline gate? How come he doesnt get so much hate for it?)

GSP does as well dw. Btw I edited my post. I forgot about the cutman

Because the commission didnt provide cutmen for the fight and handed vaseline to both corners and said "you guys do it"...

So Yoel admitted to cheating, because he felt he deserved compensation for Kennedy grabbing his gloves.

And you think it's okay for a fighter and their corner to take matters into their own hands and create situations that give them extra time, if they feel the opponent cheated?

BJM said it was his fault. He told Romero to keep sitting on the stool while they were getting the cutman to wipe off the extra Vaseline.

UFC appointed cut man at that. Wasn't even his own cut man that was one of the events the commission designated the cut men.

Both sides bent the rules in that fight. Kennedy first.
No that's a general misconception. Wasn't yoels cut man that fucked up commission amounted that guy. Big John told him to sit and wait for the guy to come back in and clean him off. At no point is that yoel or his corners mistake.

So Yoel admitted to cheating, because he felt he deserved compensation for Kennedy grabbing his gloves.

And you think it's okay for a fighter and their corner to take matters into their own hands and create situations that give them extra time, if they feel the opponent cheated?
Wasn't his corner. Couldn't be more blatantly wrong about what happened. The information is out there look it up you don't have to be super ignorant cause you didn't take the time to actually look up what happened

If Kennedy doesn't bend the rules, most likely Romero doesn't sit on the stool.

People still seen to hate on Yoel for this.
The sitting didn't even happen cause of what Kennedy did. Tho it made it more justifiable for sure. But it was the commission appointed cut man that fucked up then big John told yoel to stay seated when the cut man came back in to clean him off. He did exactly what he was told and ppl still call him out for it out of ignorance.

Wasn't his corner. Couldn't be more blatantly wrong about what happened. The information is out there look it up you don't have to be super ignorant cause you didn't take the time to actually look up what happened
Regardless of what happened, I'm arguing with the OP, which basically states that Yoel intentionally took extra time, since he felt he was the victim of a violation.

Last edited:
Regardless of what happened, I'm arguing with the statements made in the OP.

The OP is arguing that Yoel intentionally took some extra time, since he felt he was the victim of a violation.
He's also wrong then. It wasn't yoel that asked or just took the extra time. It was an issue between the appointed cut man and the ref. Big John made a statement on it before outlining where they dropped the ball and how it wasn't yoels issue as he did what he was told.

He's also wrong then. It wasn't yoel that asked or just took the extra time. It was an issue between the appointed cut man and the ref. Big John made a statement on it before outlining where they dropped the ball and how it wasn't yoels issue as he did what he was told.
It seems that it's at least partially true.

But let's say 100% of the problem was a technical mistake by the cutmen.
Then Yoel has made a mistake himself when talking about the issue.
The way he phrases it sure makes it sound like "I deserved extra time, so I took it"
He started a 10 minute explanation on JRE arguing Tim Kennedy's violation was similar to a groin shot or an eye poke, so he must get extra time.

Instead of just saying "I was just doing what I was told. The cutmen fucked up"

It seems that it's at least partially true.

But if that was all of it, that it was just a technical mistake by the cutmen.

Then Yoel has made a mistake himself in the way he talks about the issue.
Instead of simply saying "I did what I was told. The cutmen screwed up" he started by spending 10 minutes on JRE arguing that deserved to take extra resting time because he feels Tim Kennedy's violation was similar to a groin shot or an eye poke.
He did deserve to have extra time according to the rules Tho. That's also a fact. Doesn't mean that's why he did it as it's been proven and stated by both the commission and the ref in the situation. But the foul should have warranted 5 minute rest

Neither him nor his corner did anything wrong. The ref came out and said it was on him, because he motioned Yoel to stay seated while he looked over the cutman's fuckup.

The cheating accusations was all because of Joe screaming like a buffoon and people loving American military sniper Kennedy.

Back