Rewatched the Werdum/Volkov fight

Filthy Phil

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It was kind of a sloppy fight, I'll have to admit that. However, I think that is partly because Volkov was trying to play it safe and not get caught. Usually Volkov has a sick output striking wise, so it seems obvious to me that the pace of the fight was intentional. He stayed composed throughout the fight and actually did a superb job at defending from his back. Werdum couldn't pass his guard more than once or twice, despite taking Volkov down with single legs at will during the first 3 rounds.

People from the looks of it also seem to believe that Werdum was playing around too much. I just think he was trying to enjoy himself, as we've seen in many other fights (the fight with Browne comes to mind), but he was completely denied any fun by Volkov. As soon as Werdum got stupid in the striking department, Volkov finished him in the very first exhange.

We shouldn't sleep on Volkov. I'm not saying that he'll win against either Cormier or Stipe, but he's deadlier than most think.

Volkov vs Cormier would look like a forced perspective optical illusion, the way they shot Elf with Will Ferrell

Usually these threads are made 12 months after the fight, not 12 hours

It's not surprising the talent pool in HW MMA is so shallow.

Who in their right mind would want to be an MMA fighter.. a HW one at that.

It is not a career that you can afford to fail in... and the money is terrible.

The manager of your local supermarket makes more than the average UFC fighter...

Great fight by Volkov, I found it surprising he is only 29, he has compiled an extensive record pretty quickly.

The manager of your local supermarket makes more than the average UFC fighter...

The average not including Reebok, PPV shares, or Locker room bonuses is 42k a fight. 3 fights a year that’s 132k a year. Probably another 30k from extras. That’s more than supermarket manager. And you aren’t wearing a tie and working 9-5. Not to mention HWs make way more than that with an avg of 200k per fight. Most HWs are making 1m a year easy. And the top guys are making way more than that.

Volkov still showed the kind of questionable takedown defence that led to him losing to the likes of Kongo but I think you saw that even though Werdum got him down he couldn't really do much lacking the ability these days to improve position or go after quick subs.

I actually think sub grappling is the aspect of MMA agility that tends to drop off most quickly, moreso than striking or wrestling, it really depends heavily on agility, just look at Nog late on relative to Pride.

The average not including Reebok, PPV shares, or Locker room bonuses is 42k a fight. 3 fights a year that’s 132k a year. Probably another 30k from extras. That’s more than supermarket manager. And you aren’t wearing a tie and working 9-5. Not to mention HWs make way more than that with an avg of 200k per fight. Most HWs are making 1m a year easy. And the top guys are making way more than that.
It's not that simple my friend...there are managers and others that are getting percentages off of everything you make, plus gym fees, nutritionists, etc...Oh, and taxes. Not saying it's a bad living, but for the abuse you have to put yourself and body through I don't think it's enough, plus take into consideration the overall money UFC makes in general and these guys are under paid IMO.

Sad truth.

Back