Why in the world would Rockhold want to fight Gustafsson?

Dream20

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I’m all about Luke moving up to 205. But Alex seems like a nightmare matchup for him.

Size: Gus will be bigger and stronger.

Striking. Luke has better kicks but I don’t think that will make much difference. Boxing Gus is much better.

Grappling: Luke is better but ask a roided Jones how easy it is to take down and submit Gus.

Chin: Alex has a great chin and Luke isn’t known for his KO power. Gus hits hard. Ask Glover for example if you disagree. Luke’s chin on the other hand…

If this fight happens I will make a huge bet on Gustafsson.

Because Rockhold isn't the smartest guy out there.

giphy.gif

Should give him credit for asking for a tough fight.

Maybe to make himself look tough? Rockhold wanted to fight werdum before

I’m all about Luke moving up to 205. But Alex seems like a nightmare matchup for him.

Size: Gus will be bigger and stronger.

Striking. Luke has better kicks but I don’t think that will make much difference. Boxing Gus is much better.

Grappling: Luke is better but ask a roided Jones how easy it is to take down and submit Gus.

Chin: Alex has a great chin and Luke isn’t known for his KO power. Gus hits hard. Ask Glover for example if you disagree. Luke’s chin on the other hand…

If this fight happens I will make a huge bet on Gustafsson.

Rockhold should just stay at MW where he can beat up on smaller guys. He would have zero physical advantages over Gus or most LHW's

He's calling out Gus because he's a big name and a very good fighter. It makes him look good to call him out, while at the same time he knows UFC isn't going to make that match up for his first fight in the division.

It's that model persona.

Don't be surprised if he calls out Jouban next.

Its a high profile fight with little downside.

Whos he gonna fight at MW? Bisping is a good fight, but if he does lose that he might off himself.

Hes not gonna get anyone else that is worthy of a headliner. And he probably thinks he matches up well with Gus.

Imagine that without weight cut he gets huge bonus power which he has never had before and starts demolishing LHW

Why even be a fighter if you can only beat smaller guys?

You could argue Gus is lacking the punching power or Romero of course but then again Bisping did hurt Luke.

Gus's natural game does generally seem to be to pick away from range which arguably suits Rockholds style reasonably well.

Plus of course if Cormier and Rumble at HW and Jones potentially banned long term then Gus is the obvious #1 contender so this could end up being a fight for the championship or perhaps an interim championship.

If Jones does escape a long ban obviously I think Rockhold is an interesting fight for him as well.

Personally I think Gus beats him 8/10, terrible matchup for him BUT he looks like a huge badass if he wins and even if he loses everyone expects it!

Also Gus doesn't hit "that" hard so there's a good chance he just wins by decision and Rockhold looks pretty decent.

Delusional

I was actually surprised at Rockhold rocking Polo Blue because he seems to enjoy the smell of his own farts so much.

1. To get people excited. It's a clean slate at LHW.
2. If you lose to the top dogs, you get to fight the smaller ones afterwards. He can always fight Texeira or Manuwa or whoever after getting stomped by Gus.
3. Bigger payday

He's making a pretty good move.

Back