MMALOGIC on UFC TV negotiations

dertdent

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
MMALOGIC says he works for the UFC and from time to time posts insider info on the underground forum.

Febuary 14th,2018 Current state of negotiation

So it seems Wme got a second bidder in Comcast/nbc.

Fox has increased its initial bid from 200m to 250m/yr.

amazon, Facebook and YouTube red are looking to bid on the fightpass prelims and fightpass library.

As I posted before now that wme has a second bidder at 200m plus they are going to try and drive the bids up and then try and split the tv package.

if they can split the package they’ll get close to the 450m target (including the rights fees they’ll get for the fightpass stuff).

If they can’t split they’ll get somewhere around 300m imo.

if they do split expect to see a bunch of new divisions added over time: 165, 195 and female 105.

If they do split expect no more than 4 ppv’s a year (albeit at a higher price)

If there is a split it looks like it will be between fox and nbc.

the split tv package will likely be:

- half the fight nights and prelims each

- one season of the contender series each

- exclusivity on a certain number of fighters

- replay rights

the digital package that amazon/Facebook/and YouTube red will be bidding on:

- fightpass prelims

- fightpass library

- tuf

- looking for a fight

Deals should be finalized by July.

Feb 14th,2018 on UFC negotiation tactics

Yes all of the current fox package...

it would obviously be half of an expanded package (less ppv, more fight nights, and a live contender series).

That’s what negotiation is all about...

”you’re at 250, we’re at 450, so either come up or take half at 225”

Fox: “that’s too high for what we can pay”

wme:!”we’ll replace tuf with a live contender series, include the live main card fightpass fight nights, and reduce ppv to 6 to give ur network better fights”

fox: “we still won’t do 450 but we can do 300”

wme: “its 450 for the whole thing or take half for 225”

Convo with nbc will be similar and anyone else who enters serious discussions. Then at some point wme will request their final and best bids.

All wme needed was another bidder willing to invest 200mnplus for ufc content and their path to 450 (including a possible Amazon or Facebook deal) becomes feasible.

They may not want half of an expanded package but I believe they will want to pay double for the whole thing even less.

they can get pretty much the same ufc audience by paying half and also have another network promoting the ufc as well growing the pie and paying the other half.

fox has no choice because ufc makes up a third of fs1’s programming.

Nbc and fox have stepped up with over 200m per year they are willing to spend for ufc content. Now all wme has to do is come up with a package for each that they would agree to spend 200m plus on.

That’s how wme gets their 400m target.

And after selling the digital package to either amazon, YouTube red or Facebook they get to their 450 target.

Febuary 17th,2018(Question on July 2018 date)

I believe they are wrapping up discussions and will be requesting best and final bids in the next 60 days.

right now it looks like only 2 have or will bid (fox and nbc) but nobody knows what can happen last minute.

last time fox wasn’t even in the picture until the last hour so who knows what can happen.

if everybody agrees to split an expanded package they’re gonna get around their 450m including an amazon or similar deal.

if they don’t They’re looking at around 350 including the digital deal.

Most signs pointing to a split.

Should be done by July latest... right before intl fight week.

Febuary 17th,2018(Question on July 2018 date)

I believe they are wrapping up discussions and will be requesting best and final bids in the next 60 days.

right now it looks like only 2 have or will bid (fox and nbc) but nobody knows what can happen last minute.

last time fox wasn’t even in the picture until the last hour so who knows what can happen.

if everybody agrees to split an expanded package they’re gonna get around their 450m including an amazon or similar deal.

if they don’t They’re looking at around 350 including the digital deal.

Most signs pointing to a split.

Should be done by July latest... right before intl fight week.

good info but it is called Paragraphs. and punctuation.

if you are going to use bullet format at least do it correct. you could have written two short paragraphs with this info and the presentation would be much better.

if you are going to use bullet format at least do it correct. you could have written two short paragraphs with this info and the presentation would be much better.
Those are exact quotes from mmalogic, his formatting.

I see they're probably eyeing for a split then. It looks like an ok deal for evryone tbh. The consumer will get better ppv cards. The ufc seems to want to distance itself more and more from ppv because in all honesty the quality has severely dropped.

The only people I see missing out are the bidders.

Are you serious?

Haven't heard that name in a while. I thought the guy was a paid UFC shill.

He denies working for the UFC but his info is usually legit. He was telling everyone WEC was going to merge with UFC a year before it happened and people were making fun of him. He was telling everyone strikeforce was for sale and 8 months later UFC bought them.

he had a post on the underground years ago about why Fox would buy the UFC outright and we just found out fox bid 3.6b to buy the UFC.

I dont think he's always right though.

nice. I will be waiting for the 165 division. 195 doesn't make sense right now, but maybe one day it will

Back