Reebok pay is gone. It's now promotion, conduct and outfitting.

Defeat Unknown

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/...d-was-never-really-a-thing-in-the-first-place

This is disturbing. From what I understand, originally the Reebok pay was to wear the exclusive Reebok brand during fight week.

Now, this pay could potentially be withheld for "misconduct". So basically, no more compensation for the uniforms (in place of sponsors), this pay is for behaviour and media obligations. The Reebok Sponsorship is essentially gone, and the money is being redistributed under new rules and guidelines, not associated with the Reebok deal.

My understanding was that media obligations have always been understood when contracts were signed, that fighters had to do it as part of the promotion for the fight, uncompensated. Now, they're "being compensated for media obligations" but it's just the Reebok money, and the potential is there to be withheld. So when Conor didn't show up for his conference that one time, in theory he would have lost his "reebok pay".

-----
The promotional guidelines document reads that sanctions on the fight week incentive pay could be imposed if a fighter is involved in criminal offenses; “inappropriate physical, verbal and online behavior;” “violent, threatening or harassing behavior;” and more.

“Now they’re not only saying what you do when you’re representing the UFC, now they’re saying you could get in trouble in your own personal life and we’re gonna impose these sanctions on you,” Middlebrook said. “And so not only now are they reaching out and saying you have to wear Reebok while you’re fighting for us, you have to wear it during the fight week. Now they’re saying if you get in trouble in your personal life outside of working hours and we could impose discipline on you as well. To me, if that doesn’t scream employee, I don’t know what does.”

Middlebrook said the Reebok deal — which, in his estimation, amounts to a fighter uniform — and specific promotional duties separately are more in line with how companies treat employees, not independent contractors. The promotional guidelines and the UFC saying it now has the ability to fine the “fight week incentive pay” — which was once known to fans as Reebok money — amounts to discipline different than what independent contractors would expect.

-----

Furthermore, UFC denies the money was ever for wearing the Reebok gear:

------
“Athletes were never compensated for wearing Reebok,” the official said. “Athletes received Athlete Outfitting Policy payments for complying with UFC’s Athlete Outfitting Policy. Athlete Outfitting remains an important pillar of the fight week experience.”

Now, that same money has been rolled up into three different things — outfitting, code of conduct and promotional duties — and all or part can be taken away if rules are violated.

------

DNgaLfjWsAUG0m-.jpg

I knew this Reebok deal was too good to be true for the fighters!

Don’t like it then don’t sign the bout agreement you fuckin goof!

If the fighters don't have the balls to get back what they are owed, then I don't care. If the fighters are okay with being financially abused, then the spectator should just watch the fights and keep it moving.

I really wanna see the reasoning behind this and someone trying to defend it.

The bottom tier is now $3500?

you know how hard it is for a fighter to get $3500 in sponsors?

Guys getting six figure sponsor checks were mostly myths.

Reebok just watched Kill Bill 2

"Fuckin' with your cash is the only thing you kids seem to understand." - Larry the strip club owner

The bottom tier is now $3500?

you know how hard it is for a fighter to get $3500 in sponsors?

Guys getting six figure sponsor checks were mostly myths.
From day one, the $2500 tier for unknown fighters has always been a good thing. It's not the unknowns and unknown debutantes that were getting fucked, it was the well known, established popular fighters that were getting fucked.

Fighters are losing out on that "Giblert Melendez" money.

Thabks for the link TS. I hadn’t seen this.

But am I the only one who feels like TS is making a mountain out of a molehill?

I have little doubt the UFC made a policy change that didn’t help fighters. I get that.

But compared to the mandatory likeness rights policy changes, sponsor tax, and a handful of other financial policy changes over the years, on a scale of 1 to “UFC fucked over the fighters again”, this feels like it’s about a 1.5....

Back