Has a panel analyst been more biased than right now in the post fight show?

Dart Feld

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Whether you think it's illegal or legal. Cruz is super flustered and trying to squash even the discussion of it.

Cruz is using his political skills... nevermind what you just saw, what matters is what I'm telling you.
<seedat>

I have to agree with Cruz, what’s the big deal?

1. The knee didn’t land

2. Emmett lifted his head into an elbow trying to scramble up to his feet

3. It was the ferocious GnP that put Emmett’s light out.

<seedat>

Yeah, lol those elbows to the back of the head where Cruz is like "See, that was on the ear, and that one was on the ear, and that one was on the ear".
Dude was getting brained to the back of the skull. Plus what kind of shitty slow mo does the UFC have? They can't do a better job at slowing that knee down?
The way I saw it was that the knee just grazed his head on the way in, and then bumped his head on the way back. Still, rules are rules. Dan Mirgliotta should have done a better job protecting the fighters.

as always sherdog over reacts when their favorite guy loses, and as always Dom just shits all over these shertards.

1) the knee either missed or grazed with the shin at the very worst causing no real damage.(had 0 effect on the outcome)
2) 2 illegal elbows thrown, 1 landed just above the ear(thats close and can be debated) second landed on the back of the head(100% illegal but he was moving and that strike didnt end the fight)
3) the LEGAL flying elbow put his lights out, and LEGAL left hook put him down in the first place, so im not sure what people are trying to over turn, you can pick out a few illegal strikes out from every GnP finish when the fighter is squirming around trying to survive... Its not Stephens fault that the head is no longer in the same position when he started throwing the elbow.

Save the tears and give Stephens his props

1. The knee didn’t land

<seedat>
This. I thought the knee landed until I saw the second angle that Cruz commented on, which showed pretty clearly that he struck his shoulder. Whether Stephen's intention was to strike the head or strike the body/shoulder, it was a really, really unnecessary risk to take when Emmett was cashed by the time he hit the ground.

As for the elbow"s" to the back of the head, he landed 2 cleanly on the area of the ear and the third clearly struck Emmett in the back of the head. No doubt about it, it was in the back of the head. That was the only clear "illegal strike" in that final series of strikes. The Ref could've given a warning or stopped the action on that one but we've seen waay worse. It's not unusual for a fighter to throw 3-4 punches in a row on a grounded opponent and for one to land behind the ear. It didn't seem blatant, so not a big problem there.

Had Big Mirg stood them up after the elbow and taken a point, it was only going to prolong the inevitable which is that Emmett's win streak against soup cans and one lucky strike against the one good opponent (Lamas) came to an end when he drew Stephens' number.

Last edited:

1. The knee didn’t land

<seedat>

Agree with Cruz that it shouldn't be a NC but he's wrong on the knee.

If it makes contact at all it landed and its illegal, but I don't think its DQ worthy as it was really just a brush and clearly had little effect on the fight.

As for the elbows its pretty easy to argue they were accidental with emett's head moving around, happens in a huge number of fights.

1. The knee didn’t land

<seedat>
You're not totally wrong, but shooting a gun at someone and missing is still attempted murder. It's the same way that refs are now telling fighters not to lead their 'jabs' with fingers splayed, because the perception of an eye poke can make the fighter move a certain way in anticipation.
I love Stephens, but I think the ref failed.

Whether you think it's illegal or legal. Cruz is super flustered and trying to squash even the discussion of it.
I thought the same thing but didn't really care that's his teammate oh well. I did think the Fox broadcaster going along with it was funny.

You're not totally wrong, but shooting a gun at someone and missing is still attempted murder. It's the same way that refs are now telling fighters not to lead their 'jabs' with fingers splayed, because the perception of an eye poke can make the fighter move a certain way in anticipation.
I love Stephens, but I think the ref failed.
Ref failed in what? What is he going to do? Stand the guys up when Emmett is fucking counting butterfly's in his sleep? Overturn that fight because 1 or 2 elbows landed due to the head moving? Like what the fuck did the ref failed? Stephens earned every bit of that finish and no one should be contesting that. Every fight that ends with GnP can be pointed out to have illegal hits to the back of the head, i mean the fucking guy turtles up giving up his back, obv some strikes will hit his head, stopping the fight based on that is fucking loony bin material.

as always sherdog over reacts when their favorite guy loses, and as always Dom just shits all over these shertards.

1) the knee either missed or grazed with the shin at the very worst causing no real damage.(had 0 effect on the outcome)
2) 2 illegal elbows thrown, 1 landed just above the ear(thats close and can be debated) second landed on the back of the head(100% illegal but he was moving and that strike didnt end the fight)
3) the LEGAL flying elbow put his lights out, and LEGAL left hook put him down in the first place, so im not sure what people are trying to over turn, you can pick out a few illegal strikes out from every GnP finish when the fighter is squirming around trying to survive... Its not Stephens fault that the head is no longer in the same position when he started throwing the elbow.

Save the tears and give Stephens his props

Fuck, I wish this post could be stickied. Especially the point about how in TONS of ground and pound finishes, you could slow the tape and pick out "illegal" strikes landing. Your favorite fighter has a 99% chance he's accidently landed illegal hammerfists, elbows or punches while swarming a squirming and half conscious opponent that is moving his head around.

Last edited:
Calm down, Dom, you're gonna blow out your sphincter and break your hip again.

Ref failed in what? What is he going to do? Stand the guys up when Emmett is fucking counting butterfly's in his sleep? Overturn that fight because 1 or 2 elbows landed due to the head moving? Like what the fuck did the ref failed? Stephens earned every bit of that finish and no one should be contesting that. Every fight that ends with GnP can be pointed out to have illegal hits to the back of the head, i mean the fucking guy turtles up giving up his back, obv some strikes will hit his head, stopping that based on that is fucking loony bin material.
I don't disagree with the outcome, but Emmit certainly suffered extra damage after the knee, even if it was just a glancing blow. As soon as he threw it, the ref should have stopped Stephens. I certainly don't think the outcome would be any different, and I don't want it changed. But it should be the same conceot as a groin kick. Stop unless it's fucking obvious there was no impact on the fighter.

1. The knee didn’t land

<seedat>

2 elbows the back of the head as well

Ref failed in what? What is he going to do? Stand the guys up when Emmett is fucking counting butterfly's in his sleep? Overturn that fight because 1 or 2 elbows landed due to the head moving? Like what the fuck did the ref failed? Stephens earned every bit of that finish and no one should be contesting that. Every fight that ends with GnP can be pointed out to have illegal hits to the back of the head, i mean the fucking guy turtles up giving up his back, obv some strikes will hit his head, stopping the fight based on that is fucking loony bin material.
It was a hard spot to be in if he had stopped it and called it a no contest he would still be getting criticism. It's a shame he threw the knee it's taken away from what an absolutely brutal flying elbow finish followed.

Meh all looked legit to me. Either way he was finished sooner or soon.

Back