They say this sports is evolving fast.....

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Which side wins?

2005-2006

Fedor Emelianenko Stipe Miocic

mhy0rc.gif

Shogun Rua Daniel Cormier

AK8tQim.gif

Anderson Silva Whitaker

giphy.gif

GSP Woodley

tumblr_mwa5eblXtW1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Takanori Gomi Conor Mcgregor

48nsuh3.gif

Bj Penn * motivated Max Holloway

penn_sherk.gif

Last edited:
The nostalgia of pride cannot be beaten. Never.

Class of competition now for sure is better.. but it doesn't have the glamour glitz or spectacle pride ever had. Nor will it be reproduced.

Class of competition now for sure is better.. but it doesn't have the glamour glitz or spectacle pride ever had. Nor will it be reproduced.

I agree — as a show/event into itself — pride was fun

Fedor, Shogun, Silva, Woodley, Conor, Max.

It only really evolved for the smaller divisions.

Shouldn't Penn be fighting McGregor and Faber be fighting Holloway?

No shit

Shouldn't Penn be fighting McGregor and Faber be fighting Holloway?

Hmmm i don't know, were featherweights around back then? I guess if I think about it, it should've been Kid Yamamoto, I guess. Yeah, I don't know, I'm not sure when they even brought back ligthweight division to UFC I guess

Yeah this confused me

I'd take prime BJ Penn over Conor any day of the fucking week, btw

Yeah me too but

Gomi > BJ Penn

And Bj cut to FW in the past so, not in his prime, but still.

Around minute 2 and 40 seconds Shogun and Maia say that this sport is evolving a lot and the competition is harder.

GSP got better with time, he is in his prime right now, like he said in every single interview before the Bisping fight.
The GSP of today would murder the GSP of 10 years ago.

By the way, comparing champions you don't get the right idea.
145 wasn't Penn weigh class, it was 155, but the guy was so good that he was competitive even at 170 and up, a guy like BJ at 170 or up today would be madness.

Yeah this confused me

I'd take prime BJ Penn over Conor any day of the fucking week, btw
That's what I'm saying. Penn vs. McGregor is a vastly different fight then Gomi. Same with Holloway v. Faber.

Hmmm i don't know, were featherweights around back then? I guess if I think about it, it should've been Kid Yamamoto, I guess. Yeah, I don't know, I'm not sure when they even brought back ligthweight division to UFC I guess

Faber was WEC FW champ in 2006.

That's what I'm saying. Penn vs. McGregor is a vastly different fight then Gomi. Same with Holloway v. Faber.

Faber was WEC FW champ in 2006.

Yeah Kid would have crushed him/

Back