How is Renan Barao not a top 15 bantamweight?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
He is making his return to bantamweight tonight. He has 2 losses in Bantamweight, and them both being to only TJ Dillashaw who is the current champ.

His streak at bantamweight is almost legendary. Despite his recent struggles, he should still be a top 15 bantamweight ahead of the likes of Eddie Wineland?

Inactivity in the division and the fact that BW is full of absolute killers now.

Prob because he hasn't fought BW in over a year. People forget how beastly Prime Barao was tho. 2013 Barao would be currently top 5 easily.

He hasn’t won a fight at bantamweight in like 3 years...

Inactivity in the division and the fact that BW is full of absolute killers now.
this, mix of inactivity and being 2-4 in his last 6.

and those 2 wins were unimpressive. gagnon was an okay win but that fight was competitive til the finish, and nover isn't even good. (0-3 in his last 3)

Inactivity and uncertainty of him being able to make the weight anymore alone are good enough reasons.

this, mix of inactivity and being 2-4 in his last 6.

and those 2 wins were unimpressive. gagnon was an okay win but that fight was competitive til the finish, and nover isn't even good. (0-3 in his last 3)
If he wins tonight I'd love to see him against a solid upcoming fighter like Brett Johns or something. Well that's if Johns gets past Sterling.

Renan is a guy who just took a few beatings to one of the P4P fights weve seen in TJ and fell out of his prime at the same time. Plus the weightcut got extreme with USADA and the banning of IV. Things just started not going well for the guy extremely fast.

Its lame how everyone acts like he was never good now, but hes never returning to his old form.

It's crazy I know,but if you don't fight in a weight class for years you're probably not going to be ranked there.

ok so if he beats Conor McGregor at WW he will become ranked #4 at FW

Does it matter? He will never beat TJ, Dom or Cody. Never ever.

Idk about inactivity being the reason, I mean it makes sense Butt there are countless other examples of inactive fighters still being ranked. I don’t want to make this a Connor thread, but he is the obvious #1 choice.

A few other examples:
Julieann Pena - hasn’t fought in over a year and is pregnant ffs, she won’t be fighting for a long time. Still #2 in rankings.
Cain Velasquez.....enough said.
Cat zigano - first fight back in over 2 years but ranked the whole time.

The list goes on. Just my opioion btw. Rankings are fucked in my opinion anyway.

Idk about inactivity being the reason, I mean it makes sense Butt there are countless other examples of inactive fighters still being ranked. I don’t want to make this a Connor thread, but he is the obvious #1 choice.

A few other examples:
Julieann Pena - hasn’t fought in over a year and is pregnant ffs, she won’t be fighting for a long time. Still #2 in rankings.
Cain Velasquez.....enough said.
Cat zigano - first fight back in over 2 years but ranked the whole time.

The list goes on. Just my opioion btw. Rankings are fucked in my opinion anyway.

Rankings are awful, I know. But there is no reason not to have Renan Barao at least in the top 15 IMO, if not to at least hype his fight. But its not a huge deal.

Conor as #2 P4P is the funniest. UFC should absolutely not have an "official" P4P ranking. It rotates on the most mind-numbing basis.

Barao lost to Aljamain Sterling in his last fight who is himself barely a top-15 BW. 'Nuff said.

He is making his return to bantamweight tonight. He has 2 losses in Bantamweight, and them both being to only TJ Dillashaw who is the current champ.

His streak at bantamweight is almost legendary. Despite his recent struggles, he should still be a top 15 bantamweight ahead of the likes of Eddie Wineland?
Getting your ass kicked will do that.

Rankings are awful, I know. But there is no reason not to have Renan Barao at least in the top 15 IMO, if not to at least hype his fight. But its not a huge deal.

Conor as #2 P4P is the funniest. UFC should absolutely not have an "official" P4P ranking. It rotates on the most mind-numbing basis.
Conor P4P doesn't even bother me because P4P really mean nothing. But you have fans but more sadly fighters who look at the UFCs official division rankings and taking them as the gospel. We have good fights being prevented from being made because UFC fighters take the rankings to heart like "oh no I'm # this I won't fight # that because it's a step back!" when in reality they wouldn't feel that way without the silly and arbitrary numbers attached to names now.

Back