Any examples of armbars that were fully locked-in and still didn't work?

Jerry the mouse

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By 'work' I mean actually submit the other guy.

One that comes to mind is Jones vs Vitor. Yes, it dislocated Jon's arm, but Jon survived, and whooped Vitor's ass after that. I also remember Kevin Lee escaping a locked-in armbar in his last fight, shortly before he was submitted with a triangle.

GDZy.gif

Any other examples?

Some guys' arms are just unbreakable....it's not MMA, but check out Vinny Magalhaes being completely unfazed by a fully-locked armbar from Werdum of all people. He also went on to win the match.

GSP had Dan Hardy locked up tight. He didn't have the wrist turned right and it didn't work, but GSP had him dead to rights.

Enson Inoue has said before he would die in the ring before he would ever give up.

When Heath Herring put him in an Americana and Enson would not tap, Heath yelled and warned him several times that he would break his arm. Enson told him "Go ahead. Do it."

He eventually slipped out of the hold but likely tore some cartilage and damaged his arm.

Crazy how Hardy didn’t tap to that but gsp all too quickly tapped to strikes. #sad
Yeah but Hardy's career is already an afterthought. A footnote in MMA history. GSP will be talked about for decades.

Not a fan of either, just stating dem facts, dawg.

Fuk my arm, take it off, I ain't tapping
Stupid or warrior?
No shame in tapping when you know you’re done. Better to take the loss and be able to fight again than risk long term damage that could end your career, and still lose that fight anyways. Joint injuries have a way of haunting you for a long time.

GSP had Dan Hardy locked up tight. He didn't have the wrist turned right and it didn't work, but GSP had him dead to rights.

Yeah I've never taken BJJ lol but IIRC you're supposed to have the thumb pointed towards the ceiling, instead of having the hand/arm completely flat against your body. I remember seeing that one live. Weird to see GSP not get the finish with those 2 deep sub attempts...just knowing the advantage he had on the ground over Dan...

Travis Lutter also had Anderson Silva in the mount and went for an armbar with the perfect position but was too drained to pull the trigger. Missed weight from a shitty weight cut and threw away a perfectly good opportunity.

Franklin’s escape from Lutter’s armbar was a thing of beauty.

Edit: too late

By 'work' I mean actually submit the other guy.

One that comes to mind is Jones vs Vitor. Yes, it dislocated Jon's arm, but Jon survived, and whooped Vitor's ass after that. I also remember Kevin Lee escaping a locked-in armbar in his last fight, shortly before he was submitted with a triangle.

GDZy.gif

Any other examples?

Some guys' arms are just unbreakable....it's not MMA, but check out Vinny Magalhaes being completely unfazed by a fully-locked armbar from Werdum of all people. He also went on to win the match.

Forrest Griffin got his arm broken and still won the fighy (before TUF). His arm was broken and still mishapen afterwards because he couldn't afford surgery.

Technically Kit Cope survived Kenny Florian's armbar, but he was saved by the bell, and even that wasn't enough. He was done after that. Defenseless.

Tim Sylvia and Frank Mir comes to mind. Sylvia never tapped and was still trying to fight even though the arm was broken. If ref hadn't of seen the break and stopped it, the fight probably would have continued.

GSP crosses his ankles here, which is a whitebelt-level mistake. It kills the armbar in this position.

I also like how Hardy kept bragging about how "I just don't tap" during this & getting cheers from the crowd, even though he already had 3 submission losses by that time.

Back