Which Division Has The Most "Intrigue" Surrounding It's Match Ups.

digitalman45

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Which divisions match ups, within the top 15, have the most possible outcomes? Which divisions are the hardest to predict match ups for?

For me it's 135, there's just so many ways the division could play out. Every time a fight gets announced for it I have no idea what's going to happen. You can just see how competitive that division is within 3 recent title fights. Dom beats TJ in one of the closest fights I've ever seen. Cody, who's relatively new, beats the goat 135er in Dom, easily, but Dom still makes it a fight. Cody and TJ have a back and forth bout with multiple knockdowns with TJ coming out on top.

I couldn't tell you how any of those fights would go if they ran any of them back. I'd still favor Cody over Dom, but you never know how Cody will perform after getting stopped and how Dom would adapt.

I'd say BW.

TJ/Cruz/Garbrandt/Moraes/Rivera/Assuncao...... lots of interesting matchups to be had at 135.

Which divisions match ups, within the top 15, have the most possible outcomes? Which divisions are the hardest to predict match ups for?

For me it's 135, there's just so many ways the division could play out. Every time a fight gets announced for it I have no idea what's going to happen. You can just see how competitive that division is within 3 recent title fights. Dom beats TJ in one of the closest fights I've ever seen. Cody, who's relatively new, beats the goat 135er in Dom, easily, but Dom still makes it a fight. Cody and TJ have a back and forth bout with multiple knockdowns with TJ coming out on top.

I couldn't tell you how any of those fights would go if they ran any of them back. I'd still favor Cody over Dom, but you never know how Cody will perform after getting stopped and how Dom would adapt.
pretty good description of the fights/matchups between those top 3 BW's. but outside of those 3, I don't see many other challengers for the title, and Dom, as much as I like him, is most def past his prime. i also think that's the case for the majority of divisions - the top 2 or 3 separating themselves from the rest by a large margin
to answer your question FW/LW for me.

LW.

Tony and Khabib both on MONSTER runs. It's also a very interesting technical and style matchup. Probably the best fight that can realistically be made in the UFC IMO.

You also have the McGregor circus waiting in the background. If he stops being such a pussy and fights Tony or Khabib those will also be highly anticipated.

You also have tons of solid talent and exciting fighters like Kevin Lee, Alvarez, Gaethje, Michael Johnson, etc. One of the only divisions where the top 10 is not still dominated by old relic throwbacks like Hunt, Shogun, Aldo, DJ, etc.

And I almost don't want to mention it because I don't think it will ever happen but Floyd Mayweather fighting Conor in the UFC would hypothetically be made at LW.

Last edited:
Middleweight.

Whittaker vs Romero II

If Whittaker wins then it opens up everything and there is a number of contenders with some new talent coming up

LW.

Tony and Khabib both on MONSTER runs. It's also a very interesting technical and style matchup. Probably the best fight that can realistically be made in the UFC IMO.

You also have the McGregor circus waiting in the background. If he stops being such a pussy and fights Tony or Khabib those will also be highly anticipated.

You also have tons of solid talent and exciting fighters like Kevin Lee, Alvarez, Gaethje, Michael Johnson, etc. One of the only divisions where the top 10 is not still dominated by old relic throwbacks like Hunt, Shogun, Aldo, DJ, etc.

And I almost don't want to mention it because I don't think it will ever happen but Floyd Mayweather fighting Conor in the UFC would hypothetically be made at LW.
Lightweight and it's not even close. The top 50 is stacked af. At bw, there are only a few guys that could grab the title and are truly, truly, top tier. A look at the top 20 in LW is a list of any guy that can win the title on any given day. Def LW.

Several come to mind... 135... Any of the top 5 could be champion on any given day. But the match-up that has me Pumped... Stipe - Cormier...

Agreed with 135. We have TJ/Cody 2, Rivera, Cruz/Cody 2, TJ/Cruz 2, Moraes, and a bunch of other guys. The Cody-TJ-Cruz hate triangle is fun as hell.

Back