Which division has the most iconic fighters?

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
As in, which one has historically has the most big names/"stars"? Is it LHW?

Chuck
Wand
Shogun
Rampage
Randy
Tito
Hendo
Vitor
Forrest
Machida
Jones
DC
etc.

Some of those guys have fought at HW/MW too, but does any division match LHW in star-studdedness?

Yes LHW use to be the GOAT division now it’s shallow and prolly one of the weakest divisions currently

i think LHW has the bigger names, but the ufc's welterweight history aint too shabby-

miletich
hughes
newton
penn
gsp
condit
hendricks
lawler
woodley
diaz
fitch
shields

Historically it’s been 205-
In the future I can see 185 being host to many hall of fame fighters.

Easily LHW which reminds us of just how void of talent and depth that division is today.

i think LHW has the bigger names, but the ufc's welterweight history aint too shabby-

miletich
hughes
newton
penn
gsp
condit
hendricks
lawler
woodley
diaz
fitch
shields

WW is at a disadvantage because it was dominated by two fighters for close to 15 years. LHW had big names with a lot of rivalries and belts were traded back and forth (in UFC's case).

While they're good fighters, it's hard to think much of Miletich, Newton, Condit, Hendricks, Diaz, Fitch and Shields when they either didn't hold a major promotion's belt or didn't hold it for long. None of them really had any dominant runs or really big wins like the names in LHW.

Heavyweight

Lesnar
Hunt
Couture
Vitor
Mir
Cain
JDS
Werdum
Overeem
Fedor
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Nogueira
Etc..

Last edited:
When talking star power I feel like it has to be 205. Guys like tito, Rampage, Liddell, Randy, and hendo were showing up in tv and films in the mid to late 2000s. Belfort is super famous in brazil, I believe him and his wife have a reality show. Im sure guys like shogun are pretty popular as well. Wand was a megastar in japan, Ive had casuals bring him up when talking about MMA. Jon Jones is obviously a pretty big house hold name, I would say right behind rousey and mcgregor. Though some of those are interchangeable with some weight classes I feel like it still counts as they were in title contention so it wasnt like an insignificant brief stint. I would would even throw Rich Franklin in there, but thats just from my p.o.v. Regardless I still feel like 205 takes it.

LHW
HW
WW
LW
MW
FW
BW
FLW

I haven't broken it down, but off the top of my head, this is the order that comes to mind.

Light Heavyweight is the glamor division.

Heavyweight

Lesnar
Hunt
Couture
Vitor
Mir
Cain
JDS
Overeem
Fedor
Cro Cop
Arlovski

Etc..
No Nogueira?

tenor.gif

155 is catching up to 205 in my opinion. Right now it's still 205, but Penn, Edgar, Sanchez, Bendo, Nate, McGregor, Cowboy, Alvarez, Barboza and many more are all incredibly memorable fighters with many iconic moments.

Back