Let's get down to it: What's the real definition of "Gatekeeper"?

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've been getting some shit from sherbros due to my definition of "Gatekeeper".
For me it means someone who is between the mid-table and top ranked fighters who always fall short of getting the title or have got a title shot but never winning it. Someone like Cerrone, Gustafson..
What's your definition of "Gatekeeper"?

A fighter that can’t beat the elite fighters but generally beats all the unranked guys.

What’s the definition of a casual?

Answer: someone who doesn’t know what gatekeeper is

<JonesDXSuckIt>

A good fighter who beats everyone except the real true elite of his weightclass. Usually 3-4 top ranked guys. So a number 5 would constitute the status of a gatekeeper. Gustaffson losses to jones rumble and dc is a fine example. A better example would be nate diaz or cerrone.

It was probably a more useful term when the sport had fewer participants. It seems odd to call any particular fighter a gatekeeper these days.

The guy who wasn't necessarily good enough to win the title, yet all title contenders must beat him to get to a championship.

I always assume those around the 9-10 ranked fighters. Top 10 are the "best of the best" kind of thing but you have those who just simply cannot beat the very top guys, but beat everybody else.

For me it's the guy who is always steady arround 15th place in the rankings. 'Never' losing to lesser competition but falling short against the top guys.

Perfect example for me is Gleison Tibau. 27 UFC fights. And basically only losing to fighters who are/became top dogs in the division.

If you are good enough to have title shot, you can't really be a gatekeeper.

That's why I disagree with Gus and Cowboy being gatekkeper.

Maybe later in their career when they lose more than they win.
(yeah, Cowboy might be one nowadays)

Jeremy Stephensis a good example.
Struve,Tim Boestch, Matt Brown, Neil Magny, Evan Duhnam, Ross pearson, Bobby Green,

I've been getting some shit from sherbros due to my definition of "Gatekeeper".
For me it means someone who is between the mid-table and top ranked fighters who always fall short of getting the title or have got a title shot but never winning it. Someone like Cerrone, Gustafson..
What's your definition of "Gatekeeper"?
Nick and Nate Diaz

1qTlEOr.gif

Jeremy Stephens.

'Someone who will never win a title'.

Nate Diaz

Nate-Diaz-slaps-Conor-McGregor.png
maxresdefault.jpg
FnFu0Ct.jpg
20160305102414_GettyImages513969268.JPG
usa-today-8269561.0.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
diaz3.jpg
michael-johnson-nate-diaz-mma-ufc-fight-night-diaz-vs-johnson-1.jpg

How is Nate Diaz a gatekeeper when he beat the number one guy TWICE?
How is Nate Diaz a gatekeeper when he beat the all gatekeepers?
How is Nate Diaz a gatekeeper when he has fought tougher competition than top 2 guys combined?

The only losers calling Nate Diaz a gatekeeper are the salty Conor trolls.

If Nate Diaz is gatekeeper than what is Conor? A bum who beat midgets only to get smoked by gatekeeper twice?

Last edited:
View attachment 345129
View attachment 345131
View attachment 345133
View attachment 345135
View attachment 345137
View attachment 345139
View attachment 345147
View attachment 345141

How is Nate Diaz a gatekeeper when he beat the number one guy TWICE? He is Nate Diaz a gatekeeper when he beat the all gatekeepers? How is Nate Diaz a gatekeeper when he has fought tougher competition than top 2 guys combined?

The only losers calling Nate Diaz a gatekeeper are the salty Conor trolls.

If Nate Diaz is gatekeeper than what is Conor? A bum who beat midgets only to get smoked by gatekeeper twice?

Where's Nate Diaz's title?

Fuck Conor btw

Back