What Makes a Fight a Classic?

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Everyone has a different definition of what a "classic" fight is. When you watch a fight, what are you looking for when determining the greatness of the match?

- Technical brilliance? (Fedor/Cro Cop)
- Resilience/Damage taken? (Lawler/MacDonald 2 - Shogun/Henderson)
- A great comeback? (Sonnen/Silva)
- A huge upset? (Serra/GSP)

Those are just a couple examples - there are plenty of other factors to analyze. I'm sure most people take multiple factors into account when evaluating the greatness of a fight... Let me know what factors into your opinion of a truly great fight.

My favorite fighters winning via violent ko or slick submission

A highly technical war. Or just a regular war. Shogun-Hendo ideally.

Not necessarily. But if they're good, they're good. That's why.
What? So you've seen a bad fight that you consider a classic? A classic fight is always (at least) good, but a good fight isn't always a classic.

What? So you've seen a bad fight that you consider a classic? A classic fight is always (at least) good, but a good fight isn't always a classic.

Haha I'm just messin wit ya. But look at that Dada 5000 bs, look at that MayMac bs...

Incredible exchanges (striking or submissions), seat of the pants moments, plus the stuff mentioned.

Haha I'm just messin wit ya. But look at that Dada 5000 bs, look at that MayMac bs...
Damnit man... You're right - Kimbo/Dada Is somehow a classic and simultaneously one of the worst fights ever. I don't even know how it's possible but you owned me on that post lol.

If athletes 20 years from now can watch it, and learn valuable techniques and strategies from it.

Damnit man... You're right - Kimbo/Dada Is somehow a classic and simultaneously one of the worst fights ever. I don't even know how it's possible but you owned me on that post lol.

Bad classics man... If we don't learn from them, we are doomed to repeat them.

In their own way they are, can't disagree....but what type a classic?

Edit: answered above lol! Classically Terrible indeed!

Everyone has a different definition of what a "classic" fight is. When you watch a fight, what are you looking for when determining the greatness of the match?

- Technical brilliance? (Fedor/Cro Cop)
- Resilience/Damage taken? (Lawler/MacDonald 2 - Shogun/Henderson)
- A great comeback? (Sonnen/Silva)
- A huge upset? (Serra/GSP)

Those are just a couple examples - there are plenty of other factors to analyze. I'm sure most people take multiple factors into account when evaluating the greatness of a fight... Let me know what factors into your opinion of a truly great fight.

Monroe Northgoat VS The Frenchie Gouti was an instant classic.

Another one that comes to mind is the classic fight between the brawler Cody "The Pfist" Fister VS The Kajukenbo Black belt we've all grown to love and cherish.

Also, DADA 5000s last fight was a barnburner.

For me, its a combination of a anticipation of the fight, and the result ending in brutal fashion. Example: The Chris KO'ing Silva. Instant classic.

Back and forth action, decent technique vs decent technique, significant to the rankings, the fighter I like more wins.
1514551901045.jpg

A fight that’s good for one reason or another that sticks out in your memory.
There is no exact criteria, it’s like asking ‘what makes a classic film?’
Could be;
groundbreaking
Dramatic
Poignant
Violent
Shocking
Technically brilliant
Enjoyable
Etc...

for me it's a great Back and forth WAR technical or not technical .
but I also love fighter's I'm a fan of putting on a clinic and outclassing their opponents .
I'm not a fan of quick KO victories .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back