Cro Cop says he was the only guy that had the balls to fight a prime Bob Sapp

Jerry the mouse

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/...flects-on-pride-the-ufc-and-why-everybody-was

'Bob Sapp knocked out, badly and very brutally, and two times in a row - Ernesto Hoost. And I remember that just like it was yesterday. I was called by my manager and he said, "K-1 wants you to fight him." I said I'm in Pride now. He said, "Yeah, we know, but nobody else wants to take the challenge fighting him.'" Believe it or not, everybody was terrified of fighting Bob Sapp, especially after he knocked out Ernesto Hoost twice in a row.'

'He was a beast. He was a beast and he still is a beast, but I think if he changes something in his training or his mind he would still be very, very dangerous, especially in MMA. He's just a beast. He's a big strong guy with devastating punches, enormously strong. I remember his fight with Nogueira. Jesus Christ, Minotauro survived hell. ... It was the craziest fight I've ever seen. I couldn't believe that Minotauro was able to survive all the things that happened to him. He almost broke his spine. Unbelievable.'

'I met him one year ago in Japan, when I fought a Japanese pro wrestler in MMA. I asked him, "Bob, why are you doing this?" He is too dangerous, he is such a huge guy. I saw some of his fights, he was fighting in Europe. 99-percent of the fights he lost here in Europe, he could've kicked their asses easily. Why he didn't do that? To me, it looked like he was doing that with some intention. He just wanted to lose the fight. Unbelievable.

'Actually, I didn't understand his answer (when I asked him the question). He was trying to explain to me why, but I didn't understand. Not because I don't understand English, but because I didn't understand what he was trying to tell me. I said, "uh-huh, okay," but I didn't. He's a huge guy, and enormously strong, especially in MMA. He's loses fights with guys who are 50-60 kilograms lighter than he is and he could beat them easily. Easily. Why he is doing that, I don't know.'

Cliffs:

- Cro Cop thinks Sapp could've been one of the best fighters ever if he didn't throw fights
- Says he was the only guy that agreed to fight Sapp in his prime, because everyone else was ducking him after watching him maul Big Nog in PRIDE, and Hoost twice in K-1
- People only wanted to fight Sapp after watching Cro Cop break his eye socket, because they knew he wouldn't be the same mentally

I also remember Nogueira saying that he only fought Sapp when he did because Sapp was very green at the time. According to Nog, Sapp would've been invincible once he attained even a basic grasp of MMA fundamentals.

Last edited:
Probably made a few bucks doing that. Alpha Ariel called him out on his show once - one of the funniest interviews ever.

luhjDI.gif

Still one of my favorite finishes of all time.

A true display of pain etched into his mug.

I never knew there was a "prime" Sapp. I always assumed "Sapp was Sapp" based on his ENTIRE fighting career.

Big Nog got ran over by a truck as a kid. Like he gives a fudge about tard sapp powerbombing him

I never knew there was a "prime" Sapp. I always assumed "Sapp was Sapp" based on his ENTIRE fighting career.
Prime Sapp lasted about 5 fights. Think cro cop is right. Still can't do anything about his gas tank though.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/...flects-on-pride-the-ufc-and-why-everybody-was

'Bob Sapp knocked out, badly and very brutally, and two times in a row - Ernesto Hoost. And I remember that just like it was yesterday. I was called by my manager and he said, "K-1 wants you to fight him." I said I'm in Pride now. He said, "Yeah, we know, but nobody else wants to take the challenge fighting him.'" Believe it or not, everybody was terrified of fighting Bob Sapp, especially after he knocked out Ernesto Hoost twice in a row.'

'He was a beast. He was a beast and he still is a beast, but I think if he changes something in his training or his mind he would still be very, very dangerous, especially in MMA. He's just a beast. He's a big strong guy with devastating punches, enormously strong. I remember his fight with Nogueira. Jesus Christ, Minotauro survived hell. ... It was the craziest fight I've ever seen. I couldn't believe that Minotauro was able to survive all the things that happened to him. He almost broke his spine. Unbelievable.'

'I met him one year ago in Japan, when I fought a Japanese pro wrestler in MMA. I asked him, "Bob, why are you doing this?" He is too dangerous, he is such a huge guy. I saw some of his fights, he was fighting in Europe. 99-percent of the fights he lost here in Europe, he could've kicked their asses easily. Why he didn't do that? To me, it looked like he was doing that with some intention. He just wanted to lose the fight. Unbelievable.

'Actually, I didn't understand his answer (when I asked him the question). He was trying to explain to me why, but I didn't understand. Not because I don't understand English, but because I didn't understand what he was trying to tell me. I said, "uh-huh, okay," but I didn't. He's a huge guy, and enormously strong, especially in MMA. He's loses fights with guys who are 50-60 kilograms lighter than he is and he could beat them easily. Easily. Why he is doing that, I don't know.'

Cliffs:

- Cro Cop thinks Sapp could've been one of the best fighters ever if he didn't throw fights
- Says he was the only guy that agreed to fight Sapp in his prime, because everyone else was ducking him after watching him maul Big Nog in PRIDE, and Hoost twice in K-1
- People only wanted to fight Sapp after watching Cro Cop break his eye socket, because they knew he wouldn't be the same mentally

I also remember Nogueira saying that he only fought Sapp when he did because Sapp was very green. According to Nog, Sapp would've been invincible once he attained even a basic grasp of MMA fundamentals.

Pretty sure a couple of dudes fought a prime Sapp.

In case any potential MMA newbies on here haven't seen it, here's the context for Sapp "almost breaking Nogueira's spine" that Mirko is referring to:

40tiftmhf5zz.gif

Strikes me in a similar way to Lesnar.

Fucking huge, unbelievably strong, can't take a punch to save his life.

Strikes me in a similar way to Lesnar.

Fucking huge, unbelievably strong, can't take a punch to save his life.
Go watch both of his fights with Hoost and tell me that he couldn't take a punch.

Sapp 'couldn't take a punch' when he was intentionally throwing fights for money. When he actually wanted to fight, he might've been the most durable motherfucker ever.

Last edited:
Back