Why isn't Sambo more common in MMA after the Fedor era?

khabibnurmagomedov1.png

It’s incredibly common. Almost all of the Caucasian fighters grew up on sambo and Judo just like Fedor.

Because noone outside of Russia does it.

Khabib is like 25 and 0....

Nobody can fuck with him hes probably the best in the ufc right now

Because jiu jitsu schools are popping up left and right like Starbucks, while Sambo schools are few and far between like Harbor Freight.

Probably beacuse most people prefer to be on their back. It easier that way.

It's not Sambo vs Jiu Jitsu

It's Sambo vs MMA, and Sambo has the GOAT :D

It's all MMA, it really doesn't matter how you call it.

Sambo is pretty common in MMA. But you'll see more wrestlers in american orgs.

I thought it would have the same effect the Gracies had on BJJ
It is a part of Cesar Gracies grappling system.. Nick training in Sambo, and Sambo being a part of The Diaz Academy.

Pretty sure the diaz brothers train almost exclusively with a sambo guy. It's val something. Not Venus. But they give him shoutouts all the tjme

~DaViD~

What was the Fedor era exactly? Beating a bunch of cans until he started fighting real competition. Then getting demolished, culminating in a 1st rd KO loss against a 50yo WW while he was in his prime.

My coach teaches it in conjunction with bjj/judo/wrestling.

The leg log aspect is still underrated among bjj schools. Sambo incorporates many throws, though they typically train with gis on and the throws aren't necessarily well adapted to no-gi, just like judo. It is very similar to judo with a pressure oriented and active ground game that you won't generally find in bjj.

However, the constant pressure and forceful application of positions in contrast to the typical reactive adjustments in bjj is what gives it a superior application for mma IMO.

Don't ignore the fact that Khabib is trained in multiple wrestling disciplines, which only adds to his repertoire and is disguised as "sambo."

I searched my entire province for Sambo and couldn't find anywhere.

Back