All UFC divisions ranked STATISTICALLY!

RudimarChute

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Can you statistically weigh the difficulty of a division by the number of potential competitors in that division?
k3tG7Jn.png

(Height based on average of top 10, within two inches.)
If so....
HW- 6’3’’ or taller around 3% of population
LHW- 6’1.5’’ around 5% of population
MW- 6’.5’’ around 10% of population.
WW- 5’11.5’’ around 13% of population.
LW- 5’10’’ around 15% of population.
FW- 5’8.5’’ around 12% of population.
BW- 5’6.3’’ around 7% of population.
Fly- 5’4.1’’ around 2% of population.

Divisions from BEST to WORST:
Lightweight
Welterweight
Featherweight
Middleweight
Bantamweight
Light Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Flyweight

Thoughts?

You're comparing height to weight.

They are not relevant.

You're comparing height to weight.

They are not relevant.
I used average height of the division and within two inches.

You can’t do average weight because the average American male is fat and/or horribly overweight. Frame is much more important.

Can you statistically weigh the difficulty of a division by the number of potential competitors in that division?
k3tG7Jn.png

(Height based on average of top 10, within two inches.)
If so....
HW- 6’3’’ or taller around 3% of population
LHW- 6’1.5’’ around 5% of population
MW- 6’.5’’ around 10% of population.
WW- 5’11.5’’ around 13% of population.
LW- 5’10’’ around 15% of population.
FW- 5’8.5’’ around 12% of population.
BW- 5’6.3’’ around 7% of population.
Fly- 5’4.1’’ around 2% of population.

Divisions from BEST to WORST:
Lightweight
Welterweight
Featherweight
Middleweight
Bantamweight
Light Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Flyweight

Thoughts?

N/A.

UFC just had a LW fight with a 6'3 dude who was pretty muscular. Can't remember his name but he made Sage look like a dwarf. It looked at Struve competing at WW or something.

The new meta in MMA is to be 6 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier than whoever you are fighting.

So I think the most stacked division in the weight cut era would be bantamweight, which is where most 5'10" guys will be fighting in 5 or 6 years.

You can’t do average weight because the average American male is fat and/or horribly overweight. Frame is much more important.

I know what you did, it's just not relevant to weight class.

You could measure dick size and get the same outcome. I'm sure it somewhat correlates.

TJ vs. MM

Cody vs.

Assuncao
Rivera
Moraes

DC vs. Stipe

Woodley vs. MW (after RDA)
called out GSP n said he'd move up to face him. No reason he should avoid Yoel or Whitaker

Alvarez shouldn't get any shot until he faces Lee

I know what you did, it's just not relevant to weight class.

You could measure dick size and get the same outcome. I'm sure it somewhat correlates.
Are you being serious?

If you think height and weight have no correlation please look up the definition of ‘correlation’. You realize the correlation is already proven by the average heights of the division right?

I guess MM should just bulk to HW and Overeem should start cutting to flyweight. Lol what are you smoking?

Alright approximation but there is some population bias here as the population subset of fighters would not be the same as normal population. I think the relevant pdf would be shifted to the right, negative skew, and less kurtosis. This is probably why in reality we see WW/MW tends to be more stacked than FW and either LW/WW being arguably most stacked

Why didn't use body mass index, since that is pretty much what most fighters are trying to achieve by cutting weight?

UFC just had a LW fight with a 6'3 dude who was pretty muscular. Can't remember his name but he made Sage look like a dwarf. It looked at Struve competing at WW or something.

The new meta in MMA is to be 6 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier than whoever you are fighting.

So I think the most stacked division in the weight cut era would be bantamweight, which is where most 5'10" guys will be fighting in 5 or 6 years.

i love how people always say how guys want to cut to fight smaller guys, but nearly EVERYONE cuts a lot, so that doesn't apply

Are you being serious?

If you think height and weight have no correlation please look up the definition of ‘correlation’. You realize the correlation is already proven by the average heights of the division right?

I guess MM should just bulk to HW and Overeem should start cutting to flyweight. Lol what are you smoking?

James Vick should fight at heavyweight.

Pablo Garza is light heavy.

Daniel Cormier is a welterweight.

WW, then LW, then MW, then FW, then you have non competitive divisions.

James Vick should fight at heavyweight.

Pablo Garza is light heavy.

Daniel Cormier is a welterweight.
Not an argument.

Those are called statistical outliers. That’s why averages are used, I’m assuming you never took a statistics class. Notice how the average in each division goes down all the way from 6’3” to 5’4”, that’s called correlation.

James Vick could easily fight at HW if he went on the Overeem diet. Cormier is still in the average range of two inches, but he carries a higher BMI and is a tank like Hunto.

Back