How good is Stipe's wrestling to stop DC's takedowns? How good is DC's boxing to strike with Stipe?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Stipe has really crisp boxing and powerful hands.
Can DC hang in there with the champ on the feet? Or should the strategy be to avoid exchanges "at all costs" and turn the fight into a grappling match?
miocic-power-shots-close-range-arlovski-ko-2.gif

ko-of-jds.gif

IYB6XVb.gif

Every Francis Ngannou punch that Stipe Miocic dodged/blocked

DC is insanely strong, no matter how big guys are, look what he does to them.
Is Stipe's wrestling good enough to stop the takedowns?
Qy8KDl5.gif
Daniel%2BCormier%2BSlams%2BJon%2BJones%2BUFC%2B182.gif

giphy-3.gif

99fc4adaa52f60873e180cccbc03893a

DC doesn't have a sliver of hope in this fight.

This will be the easiest paycheck of Stipe's life. Brutal 1st round KO incoming.

If DC tries to stand with Stipe, he will get slept. If he tries to wrestle, Stipe will stuff his TD attempts easily, and Stipe's cardio is also far better so if DC somehow makes it out of the 1st round, he will still get knocked out.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what weight Dc comes in at for the fight. He lost muscle along with a lot of fat to cut to LHW. Putting muscle on takes a lot longer unless you're getting help from you know what.

DC is actually a little faster than Stipe I think, but Stipe throws really nice, straight punches. I think the only time Cormier trades with him is as a way to get inside and try to take him down.

Miocic has solid wrestling, but it will be interesting to see how his wrestling holds up against a 2 time Olympian.

stipe is too.big and strong for DC

Can DC hang in there with the champ on the feet? Or should the strategy be to avoid exchanges "at all costs" and turn the fight into a grappling match?

ko-of-jds.gif

IYB6XVb.gif

Qy8KDl5.gif

giphy-3.gif

TBH I have no idea, but I can't wait to find out

DC is actually a little faster than Stipe I think, but Stipe throws really nice, straight punches. I think the only time Cormier trades with him is as a way to get inside and try to take him down.

Miocic has solid wrestling, but it will be interesting to see how his wrestling holds up against a 2 time Olympian.

The good wrestling VS size intrigues me, but I think we have seen enough times to know now that if the wrestling is good enough the bigger man will go down and won't get up. Stipe TDD will be the key to watch

Stipe got taken down in the clinch by JDS, but it was after he gassed out.

I don't think Stipe has been taken down when fresh, but then again he hasn't fought any great wrestlers.

I think Stipe fighting at a measured pace and not panicking when DC gets him in rough spots is the key for him. When he's fresh he stands a much better chance, whereas DC in the late rounds has a big advantage.

i haven't had this much tent about a fight in years

the LHW champ whose only losses are to a cheater and who also happens to be undefeated against cheaters at HW vs the UFC HW champion who has the most consecutive UFC HW title defenses (lol conner) in the universe?

i might attempt to engage strangers in casual mma talk about this

AKA gonna have a bad year. Rockhold, Khabib, DC all going down.

This will be the easiest paycheck of Stipe's life. Brutal 1st round KO incoming.

If DC tries to stand with Stipe, he will get slept. If he tries to wrestle, Stipe will stuff his TD attempts easily, and Stipe's cardio is also far better so if DC somehow makes it out of the 1st round, he will still get knocked out.

Stipe stuffing DC's takedowns ? , you're talking about an Olympian calibre wrestler , it isn't going to be that easy as you're implying to stuff DC's takedowns , regardless of the size of the man he is facing.

ko-of-jds.gif

IYB6XVb.gif

Qy8KDl5.gif

giphy-3.gif

The winner is whoever is better at their thing. For example, if DC is 2x the wrestler is Stipe is, but only 1/3 the boxer Stipe is, then Stipe wins. I think there is a bigger gap between their boxing than their striking, which is why I think Stipe wins. Either way, god-tier matchup.

Striking against LHW's:

sGpFwmv.gif
johnson-kd-cormier.gif

Grappling against HW & LHW's:
giphy.gif
YellowActiveHoneycreeper.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

And these are just for <45><45><45>:
Nau5Dak.gif
oo4fyUy.gif
vwcVpk9.gif

I think stipe could be the worst matchup for DC in the entire HW division- except for the GOAT jonny bones

I think DC will have to get in close against Stipe to negate his superior reach and use dirty boxing while sporadically go for takedowns against the cage ( this won't be easy given Stipe is a proficient wrestler himself , not at DC's level but his heavier frame will make it easier for him to stuff some of DC's takedowns ( we have seen DC struggle against tall strikers in Gustafusson , add that height with power and wrestling pedigree you got Stipe )

In all honestly DC is going to have to pull out all the stops to try to win ( use his speed and wrestling ) , he has everything to lose in this fight and everything to gain , this is a very risky fight for him.

Last edited:

stipe is too.big and strong for DC
Yeah not like DC has wrestled with much much stronger men or anything.
The good wrestling VS size intrigues me, but I think we have seen enough times to know now that if the wrestling is good enough the bigger man will go down and won't get up. Stipe TDD will be the key to watch
Stipe got taken down in the clinch by JDS, but it was after he gassed out.

I don't think Stipe has been taken down when fresh, but then again he hasn't fought any great wrestlers.

I think Stipe fighting at a measured pace and not panicking when DC gets him in rough spots is the key for him. When he's fresh he stands a much better chance, whereas DC in the late rounds has a big advantage.
AKA gonna have a bad year. Rockhold, Khabib, DC all going down.
Stipe stuffing DC's takedowns ? , you're talking about an Olympian calibre wrestler , it isn't going to be that easy as you're implying to stuff DC's takedowns , regardless of the size of the man he is facing.
The winner is whoever is better at their thing. For example, if DC is 2x the wrestler is Stipe is, but only 1/3 the boxer Stipe is, then Stipe wins. I think there is a bigger gap between their boxing than their striking, which is why I think Stipe wins. Either way, god-tier matchup.
Cormier couldn't take Mir down.
Cormier was 3 for 8 in takedowns against Johnson (1). Johnson was 1 for 2 in takedowns against Cormier (1).
Cormier was 1 for 5 in takedowns against Gustafsson. Gustafsson was 1 for 7 in takedowns against Cormier.
Cormier was 1 for 2 in takedowns against Johnson (2). Johnson was 1 for 1 in takedowns against Cormier (2).

This narrative that Cormier takes everyone down at will is a bit overblown at this point, mostly because they saw Cormier high-crotch Barnett (who was back on his feet afterwards) and toss a 196 lb Dan Henderson around.

Cormier couldn't take Mir down.
Cormier was 3 for 8 in takedowns against Johnson (1). Johnson was 1 for 2 in takedowns against Cormier (1).
Cormier was 1 for 5 in takedowns against Gustafsson. Gustafsson was 1 for 7 in takedowns against Cormier.
Cormier was 1 for 2 in takedowns against Johnson (2). Johnson was 1 for 1 in takedowns against Cormier (2).

This narrative that Cormier takes everyone down at will is a bit overblown at this point, mostly because they saw Cormier high-crotch Barnett (who was back on his feet afterwards) and toss a 196 lb Dan Henderson around.

Cormier more then anything uses his tenacity win , the guys will can never be denied.

Back