“These two REALLY don’t like each other”

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The thread title is a common promotional line. In other words, “You should watch this match, because unlike other matches, these two REALLY actually don’t like each other.”

It implies couple of things. 1) That we as a general block of fans are entertained by combat sports, but even more so if the opponents don’t like each other....why? 2) Now “really” May mean “very much so.” However it often seems to more likely mean “actually” thus implying “While it’s often the case fighters pretend not to like each other, these two genuinely don’t.” Why are fighters pretending? Obviously to sell fights and we know that. We know that most the conflict is pretend, but we as a block of fans would rather watch matches with pretend conflict than no conflict at all? Why? It feels like pro-wrestling.

The thread title is a common promotional line. In other words, “You should watch this match, because unlike other matches, these two REALLY actually don’t like each other.”

It implies couple of things. 1) That we as a general block of fans are entertained by combat sports, but even more so if the opponents don’t like each other....why? 2) Now “really” May mean “very much so.” However it often seems to more likely mean “actually” thus implying “While it’s often the case fighters pretend not to like each other, these two genuinely don’t.” Why are fighters pretending? Obviously to sell fights and we know that. We know that most the conflict is pretend, but we as a block of fans would rather watch matches with pretend conflict than no conflict at all? Why? It feels like pro-wrestling.

Do you had severe ADD or something? You answered your own question: it sells fights. The majority of PPV buyers care about stuff like that, its just good business.

They should just have Joe Rogan scream out "Worldstar"

Because you are more emotionally invested if they are more emotionally invested. Thus you're more likely to buy the fight.

It's really (actually, very much so) not complicated.

The true distinction between MMA (and any other combat sport) and pro-wrestling is not the spectacle of it or fighters promoting fights with made up beefs, trash talk, or over-sized personae. It's that in MMA the outcomes are not scripted; it is competitive. Pro-wrestling is scripted; it is not competitive.

I like to watch fighters with hard-to-pronounce-names; with fictional number of fanboys in the ballpark of 6 figures.

If I'm going to watch 2 1/2 naked men roll around on the ground with their legs wrapped around each other, I'd much rather them NOT like each other.

Because you are more emotionally invested if they are more emotionally invested. Thus you're more likely to buy the fight.

It's really (actually, very much so) not complicated.

The funny thing about those three adverbs you used is that really and very both are commonly used to mean intensely but all three are close synonyms to truly.

This is a quintessential dumbass-trying-hard-to-sound-smart post. Move along.

Do you had severe ADD or something? You answered your own question: it sells fights. The majority of PPV buyers care about stuff like that, its just good business.

I know it sells fights. The question is why is it in our nature to be more entertained by a punch if a fighter doesn’t like his opponent versus punch thrown by a fighter that does like or is indifferent to his opponent. Why in fact do we like it so much that we prefer they pretend to not like each other if there is no actual tension between them?

not a huge sell for me...

but I find the inverse to be annoying sometimes.

When guys are way too friendly with each other during their fight

we just saw it w/ Cowboy/Yancy, but when CroCop fought Barry, man that was frustrating for me

That no-hooks, sideways RNC Mirko slapped on was just hilarious though... Pat went all bug-eyed and frothed at the mouth. Much respect to both of them, but please don't keep hugging throughout your fight

no different than the stare down and stupid animosity that comes out of that. nothing makes me cringe harder than watching Dana dancing around between the fighters yet nothing ever comes of it.

Anything better then hugging eachother during a fight like CC & Barry
and Cowboy and that guy.

People enjoy drama.

Fighters who are passionate in the build up to fighting their opponents are much more interesting than those who have nothing to say about the other guy other than “he’s really nice, a real role model!”

That’s not to say that everyone is necessarily good at building interest in their fight through animosity, some of these fighters end up looking and sounding like they’re just better off keeping their mouth shut.

I know it sells fights. The question is why is it in our nature to be more entertained by a punch if a fighter doesn’t like his opponent versus punch thrown by a fighter that does like or is indifferent to his opponent. Why in fact do we like it so much that we prefer they pretend to not like each other if there is no actual tension between them?

I personally don't care if they have beef or not. I just want to see quality fights. I didn't like the love fest the other night(Yancy/Cowboy) though.

'Really' is a hyperbolic term that means 'very' or 'very much' or 'extremely' etc.

The nicest thing that you can say about TS, is that he doesn't concern himself with the concept of duality of meaning.

Just joking of course, troll thread is obvious.

Back