Fighters that could have beat Royce at UFC 1?

Kvolcom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who are some guys at the time who would have beat Royce if they were in the tournament. Guys that didn't get into MMA before the UFC started don't count.

Bas Rutten? he wasn't as good w submissions at this time but I still think he'd give him problems

The guy I think would have beat him for sure is Oleg TakTarov..that would just be a bad matchup for Royce.

Who are some others?

Chuck Norris on a motorcycle with machine guns.

giphy.gif

Rickson Gracie.

I think Bas is great but he was getting submitted by the shamrocks back then (and after ufc 1 I think) so I’d favour Royce catching him. Especially as Royce subbed Ken pretty early in their first fight..

Oleg isn’t a bad shout but don’t know how much experience he had in 93.

Be hard to pick someone as a favourite over Royce back then. Maybe a Marco Ruas? He’d been fighting for a while before ufc 1 and maybe could have kept the fight on the feet? Probably seen a lot of BJJ techniques before and knew how to defend

Apart from that probably top level JJ fighters of the time or members or Royce’s own family would have a good shot - my knowledge of early 90’s Jiu Jitsu is limited I’ll admit..

Rickson does everything by armbar. Probably even masturbates by armbar.

Hulk Hogan and King Kong Bundy were both pretty good back then.

The original Super Fight plan was to have Royce fight a Wing Chun guy, Emin Boztepe. But that fell through.
I don’t know much about Boztepe, but a lot of people think very highly of him.

Young Igor would have merked him ..

Hulk Hogan and King Kong Bundy were both pretty good back then.

The original Super Fight plan was to have Royce fight a Wing Chun guy, Emin Boztepe. But that fell through.
I don’t know much about Boztepe, but a lot of people think very highly of him.
Seems I remember that. Emin backed out and was replaced by shamrock?

Back