Chin and cardio: main attributes to be great?

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
Are chin and cardio two main qualities to be dominant or great champion?
All dominant fighters with veryfew losses in their prime had at least decent cardio and chin (and in most cases great ones): Jones, Fedor, GSP, Anderson, Aldo, Cruz, DC, Cain, Stipe, MM, Tony, Khabib ect
In the same time some very very talented fighters who lacks one of these qualities werent so succesful like they can be: Reem (chin, cardio), Rumble (cardio), Rockhold (chin), Ngannou (сardio), Lesnar (cardio, chin) ect
Three exceptions from this rule: Woodley, Romero and Conor with less than average cardio.
Discuss.

Last edited:
I think cardio may actually help you recover when rocked. At least Fighters say that.

Many Fighters who recover well are known for having a chin.

Mark Hunt and Chris leben are freaks of nature though. With basketball heads

They are important but stamina management and striking defense I would rate higher.

Like TJ said you can’t train a chin but your cardio can help you to recover quicker

Both help. But I believe fighting skills are just as important

if these two things were most important both Diaz bros would be champions instead of high profile gate keepers

its not one attribute alone, multiple physical attributes combined with fight iq and tenacity make a great fighter.

Lets take a few examples,
Anderson : Great chin, long reach, superior reflexes, mixed with awesome fight IQ(non showboat anderson) and not giving up(sonnen fight)
GSP : Above average chin, great cardio, athleticism, gorilla strength, mixed with awesome mental disciple to stick to his stratajee, and perseverance(Hendricks and Bisping)
Jones: Great chin, long reach, imagination mixed with the goat fight iq
Fedor : Superior chin, extraordinary speed mixed with great fight iq and perseverance(Randelman, Cro Cop, Sapp) and adaptability

Brock had great cardio, truly exceptional for his size.

Aldo was not known for his cardio.

Is it really fair to say Rockhold has a bad chin??? He's only been knocked out twice and one TKO. I think Luke as of late has had some issues with left hands but I don't think that constitutes a bad chin.

To be champion for a long time? Yeah you need a chin. You'll get clocked sooner or later. You can get around the lack of cardio by changing your style up.

Fight IQ and fighting ability are more important. If you have a great chin and cardio, it could mean that you get smashed for longer, and take unnecessary punishment.

We are beginning to find out those micro-concussions add up in the long run, to a very high and stiff price. The guys who get KO'd quickly, seem to be better off in the long run, than the guys who were used like punching bags for extended periods of time. I could be wrong.

Yeah those two really are the key. As long as you can take their shots you can outwork and tire guys out even if you're less skilled. I'd also add Edgar to that list and take werdum out. He actually had a pretty good chin, the stipe pinch just hit him right cause he ran at it, and a jds uppercut could knock most guys out. I mean in his last fight he ate like two head kicks from an m-1 champ without blocking them at all

its not one attribute alone, multiple physical attributes combined with fight iq and tenacity make a great fighter.

Lets take a few examples,
Anderson : Great chin, long reach, superior reflexes, mixed with awesome fight IQ(non showboat anderson) and not giving up(sonnen fight)
GSP : Above average chin, great cardio, athleticism, gorilla strength, mixed with awesome mental disciple to stick to his stratajee, and perseverance(Hendricks and Bisping)
Jones: Great chin, long reach, imagination mixed with the goat fight iq
Fedor : Superior chin, extraordinary speed mixed with great fight iq and perseverance(Randelman, Cro Cop, Sapp) and adaptability
Fedor never fough sapp.

He also possesses far more attributes than listed.

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that Werdum has a shit chin....if anything it's actually one of the better ones at HW.

He's fought a who's who of killers, and has only been KO'd twice with vicious punches that would've put 99% of HWs out cold.

Aldo's cardio has always been very weak. That's why he destroyed people in 3 round fights but fought differently in 5 round fights. He often dominated early and looked completely different in late rounds.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that Werdum has a shit chin....if anything it's actually one of the better ones at HW.

He's fought a who's who of killers, and has only been KO'd twice with vicious punches that would've put 99% of HWs out cold.
probably because Stipe knocked him out with a weak punch; but Werdum ran full speed into it.

Followed by the skills in weight cutting, cheating, and stalling amirite?

Cardio, yes, but if you're relying on your chin regularly, then you're doing things wrong.

Back