The WEC generation

Epicness

Rent-paying tenant cat
@Black
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that most, if not all of these guys are done at the top level? I think so, as sad it is to admit. Guys like Cruz, Condit, Pettis, Benson, Cerrone, Swanson, Aldo, Mendes, Benavidez, etc were some of my favorites to watch when they were coming up and it seems like they all pretty much fell off around the same time.

Dont get me wrong, they are all still capable of putting on fun fights, but i think the majority of them are done as top condenders

<DCrying>

It is kinda sad.

There's still a few top-5 fighters out of that bunch, and there's a lot of top 10 guys. But I don't see anybody who is still rising. The WEC elite are beginning that last chapter of their careers.

Half of the guys you listed are still right at the top of their divisions, like in the top three and still very capable of being there.

So no, they're not done yet. Last event was seven and change years ago, still plenty of time left on the clock for them. Will they rise? Hard to tell, it means if they were in their mid 20s towards the end of the WEC, they're in their 30s now.

Great group of fighters. But every generation gives way to a new one. Hope they have great lives post-fighting.

There are still a few hanging on.

One of you warlocks hurry up and post wec arianny celeste

WEC had some of the most exciting lighter weight class fights of all-time... Some are still at a high level. But WEC was years back and the guys on the UFC roster are getting old. But still have exciting fights.

wec arianny celeste
You mean Brittney?
brittney_palmer.jpg

Is it safe to say that most, if not all of these guys are done at the top level? I think so, as sad it is to admit. Guys like Cruz, Condit, Pettis, Benson, Cerrone, Swanson, Aldo, Mendes, Benavidez, etc were some of my favorites to watch when they were coming up and it seems like they all pretty much fell off around the same time.

Dont get me wrong, they are all still capable of putting on fun fights, but i think the majority of them are done as top condenders

<DCrying>
25jgi0i-2.jpg

its called time

this is dumb

and palmer looks like a different (worse) person now

Korean Zombie our final hope

edit: oh yeah i forgot about Mighty Mouse

The first mma i watched was WEC almost 10 years ago. Sad to see that awesome chapter coming to a permanent close.

<DCrying>
AHHHHH, the days when fighters were fighters, champions defended against top contenders, and they did it just because they loved beating people up and putting on a show. Back then It was like watching NCAA football, compared to a bunch of rich spoiled NFLer's like we similarly have in todays UFC.

With the decline of the WEC guys my interest in the UFC declines as well. Most of my favorites are out or on the downslide, and never really got replaced with new guys.

The PRIDE guys beat out most of the early 2000's-era UFC fighters in the late 2000s. Rampage vs Liddell 2 was the pivotal point of that era

Then WEC guys pretty much replaced the PRIDE fighters back in 2011. The Strikeforce guys replaced the WEC guys in 2013. PFL/Bellator are probably on their way in the next few years.

Of the people you listed, I can only see Cruz possibly regaining a UFC title. Generations get replaced by new blood every couple years, especially in MMA. Is normal.

Last edited:
Many of those guys listed are still top of their division, whether they're as good as they once were is debatable. Some have fallen off, but time can be a bitch. WEC ended over 7 years ago, but unlike Pride at least, many were still in their prime or getting close to it once they made the crossover. But now some are starting to hit that age where the decline begins or possibly a resurgence. Let's go, Pettis!

WEC never die.

Considering it ended about 8 years ago it’s not that surprising that the top WEC guys are no longer on top, the Pride fighters really fell off too

Back