Legit explanation for fighters prime ending vs made up reasons?

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
There some fighters who prime ending not make sense to me

Anderson silva
Cro cop

there fans just make shit up ^^ up.

But then some fighters it make sense

&Fedor had a noticable decline in sloppy fighting, and his body getting fatter his weight not changed but he lost muscle mass and increase body fat %

*Shogun had many serious knee injuries and after like 3rd one he stopped leg kicking and being as flexible.

*Wanderlei silva after being KO 3x in a row by killers (he was in his prime then) he then went on injuries and now is shit and was shit in his last UFC years. He also never adapted it seem to ground game that always his weakness.

*Chuck liddell just lost his chin. Once he went back to his kicks he was owning franklin and he was alright against rashad.

Who else?

---Cain could be debated to not be same after all his injuries

Injuries, overall damage, modern training improvements, age, natural testosterone decrease, lack of motivation, etc.

Any number of things.

Fighters dont typically rise to elite status again once their “code” has been cracked.
We will see this with Weidman, Silva, BJ Penn, Cain, Machida....
Most Champs don’t regain their belt.

From what I experience(d) myself, at some point in your life you just lose your edge. You're not as sharp and aggressive and motivated anymore. And it can absolutely 100% not be gained back, not via any combination of hard training or motivation or drugs or whatever. When you don't have it anymore, you don't have it anymore.

From what I experience(d) myself, at some point in your life you just lose your edge. You're not as sharp and aggressive and motivated anymore. And it can absolutely 100% not be gained back, not via any combination of hard training or motivation or drugs or whatever. When you don't have it anymore, you don't have it anymore.

I believe in you man, dont give up on the dream just yet

Anderson silva
Cro cop

&Fedor had a noticable decline in sloppy fighting, and his body getting fatter his weight not changed but he lost muscle mass and increase body fat %

*Shogun had many serious knee injuries and after like 3rd one he stopped leg kicking and being as flexible.

*Wanderlei silva after being KO 3x in a row by killers (he was in his prime then) he then went on injuries and now is shit and was shit in his last UFC years. He also never adapted it seem to ground game that always his weakness.

*Chuck liddell just lost his chin. Once he went back to his kicks he was owning franklin and he was alright against rashad.

Who else?

Wat?

Well, You could argue that Spider was losing his edge a few fights before he lost.

Similar to Fedor. He was still winning fights but any fan can objectively look at his fights with Mark Hunt..or even Lindland, HMC, and Rogers and say “he isn’t the same anymore” but he’s still getting the job done so it’s not really something you harp on.

Anderson at some point didn’t have the same edge as the guy who destroyed Franklin, Hendo, Griffin. He still won some fights and then he lost and not just his edge but his mystique is removed. After Shael, and then definetly after Weidman everybody in the division thought they could take him.

It’s an edge but we also don’t know what changes are made in training. If they even train as much. An injury took something away..or simply reflexes, timing, and calculation just aren’t the same. There’s a mental aspect.

I think in Fedors case, his body didn’t break down because of of age but his style deteriorated because he changed the way he trained. Now his age is a factor as well.

Anderson Silva might’ve just got old.

As for CroCop. I just don’t think cage fighting was his bag. He’s out of prime because he’s old(still with some good recent wins) I don’t think he loses to most of those guys in a ring. Immediately different fighter and being real..the competition wasn’t better in the UFC. Atleast not at the start. He was fighting lesser fight but he was a completely different fighter even vs the cans in UFC as well.

Last edited:
Serious injuries can explain the very fast drop offs. Shogun is an example. Cain as well.

Very few are solely a case of falling out of one’s prime, but rather a combination of facing better talent, new drug testing measures accompanied by small reductions in physical abilities over long periods of time. Best examples are Anderson, Nog, Fedor.

Others are purely a case of facing better talent/drug testing like CC and Lombard.

Anderson silva
Cro cop

Who else?

Crocop stopped throwing his right hand or leg...ever. It was like a weird mental block. The guy had that anxious twitch. Probably had some sort of brain injury that created a mental block to throwing the right hand.

Legit prime loss IMO

It’s usually about 7-8 years after a fighter starts fighting at a high level.Sometimes it’s sooner if there’s injuries involved. The body just can’t peak longer than that while training at a high level

Fighting better competition can end a "prime" real quick....

It’s obvious.....their bodies just give up defensively even when their offensive weapons are still good.

....Chin goes (Robbie, Overeem, Rockhold, Ben Henderson)
....Limbs break (Anderson)
....overall accumulation of damage (Weidman, Gilbert Melendez)
....and eventually that realization will have an effect on their mental state and the ego is the last to go (BJ Penn)

Athletes slow down. Great champs are almost always at least as fast as their competition or else flat out faster (like Anderson was). Injuries can be part of the slowdown, but reflexes get slower too. Older fighters get slower to react and slower to pull the trigger. You can see it comparing vids between their primes and declines. I suspect the causes for this are both physiological and psychological. Some athletes compensate for a while with different strategies or pure toughness, but damage starts to pile up and accelerates the problem.

Fedor. Hand injuries . Went crazy religous. He began declining around 2006 and stopped trsining like he used to. He lost in sambo before he lost in MMA

Cro Cop’s decline wasn’t legit? Did you watch it? He looked noticeably slower later in his career. Don’t forget he was also competing in kickboxing. Double the mileage.

Fedor. Hand injuries . Went crazy religous. He began declining around 2006 and stopped trsining like he used to. He lost in sambo before he lost in MMA
Change of gameplan too. He became a headhunter instead of doing what got him to the top. It’s like when Aldo forgot how to kick.

Athletes slow down. Great champs are almost always at least as fast as their competition or else flat out faster (like Anderson was). Injuries can be part of the slowdown, but reflexes get slower too. Older fighters get slower to react and slower to pull the trigger. You can see it comparing vids between their primes and declines. I suspect the causes for this are both physiological and psychological. Some athletes compensate for a while with different strategies or pure toughness, but damage starts to pile up and accelerates the problem.
At that level even being just a hair slower can turn a dominant champion into an average fighter.

Very simple. This guy...

upload_2018-2-19_19-49-11.png

...is and always will be undefeated. And you don't need to "explain" when it happens. Just know it does, and it's at different times for everyone. Not sure why you need to dig deeper than that.

Fighting better competition can end a "prime" real quick....

Exactly but in some cases like shogun it is different. I by way do not think prime shogun ever beats jones except by lucky punch. But he obvious example shogun has been not move ble and not kicKing for years

It’s obvious.....their bodies just give up defensively even when their offensive weapons are still good.

....Chin goes (Robbie, Overeem, Rockhold, Ben Henderson)
....Limbs break (Anderson)
....overall accumulation of damage (Weidman, Gilbert Melendez)
....and eventually that realization will have an effect on their mental state and the ego is the last to go (BJ Penn)

And before Anderson broken leg? How you explain 2 losses to Weidman? Also he took steroids durin and after leg Break.

His religion stuff sounds more legit. Hand injuries wow not as bad as knee or back.

Back