Would prime sakuraba be a top contender in mw or win the belt?

DenisDiamond

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Saku fans always said that saku was beating lhw/mw monsters but could he do it against current mw division?

There's nothing Sakuraba couldn't do.

There's only one Kazushi.

renzo.jpg

Saku was a threat to anyone, especially at his weight class.

No, specially against high level grapplers like Yoel, Weidman, Luke, Jacaré etc

He'd lose more than he'd win but with his unorthodox techniques and submission ability on his best day he'd have a chance to catch just about anyone.

He would have been straight murdered by the top MWs of today.

Old School fighter are overrated tbh.

Saku was ahead of his time. Those catch wrestling and unorthodox gnp were almost mystified

Probably not but he's still a legend.

EDIT: This is based on the 1999 Sakuraba walking into the UFC today. If he had access to modern training and coaching, who knows? I wouldn't want to limit anyone's potential.

His courage and heart was admirable but no chance in hell.

He beat Vitor (one of Silva’s defenses and one of Weidman’s defenses) and Rampage (one of Jones’s defenses).

Vitor was on some powerful shit back then; but he had to be clean when he fought Silva and Weidman.

Saku fans always said that saku was beating lhw/mw monsters but could he do it against current mw division?
I really think it's hard to compare what MMA was then to what MMA is now. MMA has evolved to a much higher level now. I see Saku doing very well, he's always been one of my favs and always will be. I loved watching him snap Renzo's arm... anyway that aside, I do believe he could've gotten the belt, but idk, the Middleweight division now has some serious killers though.

Saku had very high level wins in his career with limited methods available. He is a great fighter and is being underrated ITT. Top 10 I'm sure. Everyone in history would struggle against the current top 4 (yoel, rock, whit, jac)

Today's MMA game is so much more evolved than any of the past greats. We can talk about Prime Chuck, Randy, Fedor, Lesnar etc etc but today's Top10 fighters are just much more complete.

He's get his ass beat. Anyone with half-ass take down defense would light his ass up.

MW would be tough. Some mofo's at mw these days are bigger than the HW in Saku's era. Still, an iron chin, limitless cardio and the ability to tap elite grapplers go a long way.

Saku's optimal walk around weight was around 185 which would make him a ww at this day and age though. Fanboy speaking here of course, but I say he wrecks most of the current ww division.

I couldn't see him beating anyone in the top 5. But top 10 he looks pretty competitive

Prime Saku could've made Welterweight no problem. I think he would've made serious noise at Welterweight.

Back