Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Curtis Millender
170lbs, 6’2” with 78” reach

James Vick
155lbs, 6’3” with 76” reach

How these tall ass mfkers make weight, I don’t know but let’s get that out the way.

How did you think Vick pales in comparison to Millender; skillwise?

I wasn’t impressed at all with Vick who has the freakish length but doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing. He was spamming some ugly looking unathletic knees with zero timing and he only used his length for lame tactics like extending his hands or playing that keep away game. The man can’t even jab and he claims to be a golden glove boxer.

Millender on the other hand, had some beautiful counters to Thiago Alves’ notorious leg kicks and in the end, finished with a well timed knee.

I think Vick is in for a rude awakening if he wants to fight someone in the Top 10 LW division while I believe Curtis Millender will be a problem for some guys at 170 once we figure out what his ceiling is for the grappling department because his striking and defensive footwork is on-point already. I believe with that attribute, it could develop his grappling defense.

Both guys will only go so far with their size advantage. Once they hit the top 10 its a rude awakening

Vick is a better boxer than kicker. He also has a serious submission game where Curtis has 0 submission wins

Millender has more power and more diverse striking but Vick has underrated boxing and is much more well rounded

Vick is also 9-1 in the UFCs most stacked division

We need to see more of Curtis against top talent

Vick is most impressive.

Neil Magny also deserves to be in this discussion.

Vick gets hit too much. I actually expected Trinaldo to knock him out because of how hitable he is, regardless of his size.

Vick is way better than Curtis, both as a striker and a grappler. He seemed to hurt his hand early in the fight, so that may be why he didn't use his boxing more often. I mean, the guy dropped Trinaldo early with punches, so unless he has Gouti level fight IQ, he would have kept it up unless he couldn't.

Vick gets hit too much. I actually expected Trinaldo to knock him out because of how hitable he is, regardless of his size.
He seems to be very adept at rolling with strikes and making sure they don't land clean. His defense looked way better against Duffy, can't recall Joe landing a single clean punch in that fight.

Mini-giraffes

Struve is the Prince, Schilt is the old King :D

"One of those giraffes was running, not fighting... I want my money back."

He did enough to win but when he said in the Interview that he was trying to end the fight when he clearly wasnt. Trinaldo was a step up in competition and is good at what Vick excels so he had to fight on the feet. He did alright but he might be in trouble if he fights someone that doesnt let you win that way.

Vick seemed even bigger at 55 than Millender did at 70. Put Millender against Saunders.....the two giants of WW

i see your point, but don't get carried away

you can walk into the Texas Golden Gloves in Ft.Worth, TX and see the history of all the past winners

i think he won Golden Gloves twice, yes after he knows he has a fight in the bag he has a bad habit of riding the clock out, but still he has legit hands (although usually just for the first round)

Vick looks awkward when he lunges in with flying knees but he got away with it against Trinaldo. We saw what happened when he faced Dariush but in all fairness he was pretty green.

Curtis has some slick stand up and decent high kicks but his boxing defence is fairly porous and tiny looking Alves was landing kicks at will. His TDD looked pretty awful as well but he's young in the fight game too.

Either way both of these guys have massive size advantages over like all of the WW divison. Still fun to watch higher level guys decapitate them though.

nah millender is a good sized WW, but he looked a lot bigger because alves is small. his size isn't ridiculous.

vick on the other hand is a fucking massive LW, and would still be a big WW.

Give Curtis a fight with Covington or Perry. Covington seems to be sitting idle and just shooting his mouth off.

Millender has my attention.
Vick has failed to impress.
Giraffes are tall.

I think I have seen guys here so so sure Vick loses every fight. Well he has won all of them except 1 in the ufc.
I don't know what to make of Millander yet. Has come long way since he was destroyed by Brennan Ward in Bellator but knocking out injury beaten Alves is a good start for him....

170lbs, 6’2” with 78” reach?

thats not that bad. Guys like holloway are taller for their division

Back