How does Ortega beat Edgar?

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Looking at this matchup... I have a hard time seeing how Ortega beats Edgar. The ONLY way I see him winning is if father time has caught up with Edgar, and he's just not the same.

If we see a vintage Frankie Edgar, then he's going to destroy Ortega. Edgar is far better and more experienced on the feet, and has the wrestling base to keep the fight standing if he chooses. And even on the ground, I'm not sure that Ortega can submit Edgar. Frankie could ground and pound Ortega at will, avoiding all submission attempts.

By pulling out and making Edgar miss payday

Ortega can submit anyone in the division. In the stand-up i'd say it will be pretty even and Ortega does have the reach. If Edgar takes him down, Ortega's guard is very dangerous. They don't call him "T-City" for nothing. He can definitly win but the odds are on Edgar's favor.

Nose shattering knee on bobble-head shooting for takedown. If not KO, grabs neck right away

He doesn't.

WAR EDGAR

This is my feelings on it too. I think Frankie is a tough fight for Ortega. But if Ortega pulls this off, he definitely deserves the next title shot. Kid has been impressive in all his fights, even if takes a bit of a beating, he manages a comeback, he’s got good stand-up, solid subs, he’s definitely going to be near the top for a while imo. Just might be too early for him to face Frankie.

If Frankie takes him down, Ortega CAN submit him. He's crazy slick. Not sure Frankie wants to play on the ground. Ortega can also snatch that neck up real quick, even when standing. Striking? Frankie has better boxing, but I don't believe he'll hurt Ortega. Ortega has a chin on him.

Frankie should be the favorite, but Ortega can definitely end pretty much any fight at any time if you leave that neck out.

Maybe Frankie drops his head on a shot directly into a knee or maybe he gets caught in a guillotine on a sloppy takedown. Don't see a ton of options.

He doesn't. Ortega doesn't win rounds. You could argue that Ortega has never won a round in the UFC. He's losing until he finishes the guy. (Not hating! I think Ortega is rad.)

Meanwhile, nobody finishes Frankie Edgar. He makes few mistakes. He has no real weaknesses - when he loses, it's because the guy was just too good at something. For someone who isn't a true physical freak, he ties together the component parts of MMA possibly better than any fighter in history.

For Ortega to beat Edgar, he would have to do one of two things: buckle down, throw volume on the feet, and win rounds; or blitz Edgar with a beautiful piece of high-amplitude offense. I have never seen either of those things happen.

Ortega can submit anyone in the division. In the stand-up i'd say it will be pretty even and Ortega does have the reach. If Edgar takes him down, Ortega's guard is very dangerous. They don't call him "T-City" for nothing. He can definitly win but the odds are on Edgar's favor.

Even in the stand up? Ortega got outruck by clay Guida for 14:50. Get out of here, that’s nonsense

6 fights, 6 finishes. Yes, Frankie is very durable, but Brian can sub anyone in the division, if given the chance...don't think he can't...even Edgar knows this. FE probably win a very GSP like UD.

Ortega got schooled and dropped by Guida before landing that knee. Frankie destroys him

as a true frankie fan this fight worries me. oliveira end of the 2nd round. can't shake it.

Ortega can submit anyone in the division. In the stand-up i'd say it will be pretty even and Ortega does have the reach.
No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

Spoiler: he doesn't.

Edgar boxes him up for a wide UD.

Could see Edgar dominating this fight, getting a little careless and getting caught in a submission.

Just from watching past Ortega fights, I'm guessing he'll lose the entire fight until he randomly wins in the 3rd round.

War Edgar tho

Just from watching past Ortega fights, I'm guessing he'll lose the entire fight until he randomly wins in the 3rd round.

War Edgar tho

3rd round Ortega is a legend in the making, just like 3rd round Romero.

Back