Josh Barnett on the old school MMA fighters: "we fought for blood and for honor"

Vojislav

I fight for honor
Banned
Reaction score
Old interview but it reflects nicely that NHB/MMA was much better when there was no money and greed in it and fighters fought for honor and because they simply wanted to fight.

Big money corrupted the soul of MMA and the true spirit of martial arts. That's why I couldn't care about PPV buys, the draws, how well the UFC/fighters do financially etc. The less money there is in MMA, the better it is.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/...t-reflects-on-a-past-era-frank-mir-dana-white

"I fought when there was no money from fighting really," Barnett reflected. "I fought when you couldn't even buy MMA gear at your local sports store or whatever. We had to make it ourselves. I fought when most of the time we didn't even wear gloves. We were under attack from all angles. There wasn't really an audience hardly. There wasn't much fame. The only real reason to do it was because you just had a never-ending desire to get in there and bathe in blood.

[...]

As the old guard slowly dwindles in number, Barnett remains one of the few active veterans to still remember the NHB days. He marvels at the massive leaps forward the sport has made since that era, although he believes it comes with a cost.

"I think that a lot of guys fight not for the reasons that we used to fight for," Barnett said. "There's a lot of guys that get in here and they just want to get in, make a run, think that they're going to be famous, make a lot of money, what have you. They fight for glory, where we fought for blood and for honor.

"There's still great, true fighters coming out of this, but these guys aren't quite as tough as they used to be. There's way better athletes, they're much better prepared, but some of these guys, they don't have that grit."

He’s right, buncha fuccboi Twitter shit these days

steroids.jpg

He's right.

There's barely any fighters that fight for legacy nowadays. Holloway would be one of them, he has stated so multiple times.
Back when there was no money to be made in this sport, we had real warriors competing for glory, honor and legacy.

Now everyone just ducks everyone til they get a favorable match-up.

He's right.

There's barely any fighters that fight for legacy nowadays. Holloway would be one of them, he has stated so multiple times.
Back when there was no money to be made in this sport, we had real warriors competing for glory, honor and legacy.

Now everyone just ducks everyone til they get a favorable match-up.

Holloway fights for cupcakes everyone know this.

Fighters who fought for honor

Fedor
Igor Vovchanchyn
Sakuraba
Cro Cop

Also guys who came from wealthy background like Hughes and Penn and fought because they simply wanted to.

Royce Gracie fought for the honor of his family's martial art and faced much bigger guys.

Reminds me of someone like Stipe. I don’t think he gives a shit who he fights as long as he is heavyweight champion of the world. That’s something I can get behind.

"I fought for honor only when I got paid."
- The Honorable Kenny Florian

Now that there isn't that much attention and fame in boxing we are actually getting better fights in boxing.

As soon as the Floyd era ended we got a lot of great fights in 2017 and 2018. Look at the WBSS cruiserweight tournament which was full of Eastern European fighters that will never be PPV draws and don't give a fuck. They put on great fights, the best fighting the best. Usyk vs Gassiev will be a massive fight for hardcore fans between two big guys who fight for honor and don't need any cheap trash talk to hype it up.

If MMA overtakes boxing in popularity it will be bad for the sport of MMA, watch and see. You'll have a bunch of divas holding on to their paper titles and "marinating" fights for years. You know, the same thing that ruined American boxing in the first place. You already see glimpses of this happening in MMA with Woodley, Bisping, Conor...

Reminds me of someone like Stipe. I don’t think he gives a shit who he fights as long as he is heavyweight champion of the world. That’s something I can get behind.
One of the few things I actually appreciate bout Stipe.

Ya you cant hate on that guy. He also openly state he'd pick his firefighters job(saving lives) over his mma carrier that pays way more. Still baffles me why the UFC doesn't have this guy prompted more

1. He was calling out Anthony Joshua for a boxing match
2. He sat out for half a year because he was unhappy with a contract that he chose to sign

They are still here. Max, Tony Khabib stipe list goes on. But yea this gen is more about all money all the time and ducking toughest contenders in general. I'd say it's about 50/50. Could be Conor effect and generational. They see what Conor has gotten himself and want a piece of it.

1. He was calling out Anthony Joshua for a boxing match
2. He sat out for half a year because he was unhappy with a contract that he chose to sign

Oh yeah huh you right you right. But still! At least he’s fought who ever is available ya know.

Back